Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Whilst over at the wonderful Euroart Open Studios on Friday night, I wandered over to Fountayne Road. Demographically, it's similar to Harringay's Warehouse District in that the buildings have been given over to an artistic crowd to use as live work spaces. I really rather liked it. Light was fading fast but I got a few snaps.

The warehouses in Fountayne Road are older than Harringay's and quite atmospheric

Who's that?

Imperial Works - anyone know the history here?

Inside the stairwell of one of the Imperial Works blocks

Guess this must be Number 7 Fountayne Road

View into one of the live work units

Street art is my new 'one weakness'......

Sunset over 'Sweet World' - Tottenham's homegrown slice of America!

Broad Lane graffiti

Mannions, Broad Lane

Rainbow Works opposite Euroart Studios

Tags for Forum Posts: tottenham warehouse district

Views: 6429

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, yes please!

If you're curious about why what happens/has happened in Dalston is of interest to us around here, have a look at the Open Dalston blog and back story. Some of the discussions are awfully familiar.

"TfL acknowledges that the earlier designs were considered "uninspiring and repetitive" but it now describes the new designs for the Western Curve's northern block as 'sculptural' and which 'responds' to local character. One change has been the reduction from 8 to 7 storeys. TfL claims the designs now "respond...to the ambitions of the community". "

ie take off the penthouse and the Planning Committee rolls over.

The problem for the area is mainly the council’s bizarre planning zone policy.  Tottenham Green is the new Croydon the Arts and Media quarter. As Alan said the 70’s idea is ludicrous. Arts regeneration bought to life by the new BG church oops I mean Arts Centre. The concept of destroying everything like Wards Corner to create this new Croydon zone with shiny cladding towers and a shopping mall full of creatives is a little 20th century planning.  

In the 21st century the new media people i.e. the Dalstonian kids sitting in "Tina We Salute You" are the way forward.  They choose that area as it is an attractive funky space where they can create with their iPhad and correspond with their virtual colleagues.   Dull high street shops with pig ugly towers will just drive the arts and media money away as the new generation does not need offices or workspace it is truly mobile.

Seven Sisters would have become the new Dalston and the new media quarter but with this council lead destruction the area plan has put an end to the future media kids. It keeps the artist whilst it keeps the cheap warehouse rent.  An accident as the original plan was to rip down the warehouse for the new stadium.  

I know several media people that rent here priced out of trendy Hackney, who had started to put down roots attracted by the warehouse scene and the very London local offerings. They love the weirdness of places like Wards Corner shops and its market.  In it they see creatively and inspiration not trendy in the rather sad arts centre. They lead they do not follow.

The council needs to get an up to date i.e. this century’s planning policy, if they want to keep the new media kids in the area. The council plan will drive them away and replace them with short term transient occupants through tenanted new build.  New, shiny and lock up and leave is not what the arts and media thrives on. They are employed to sell this sort of thing to foreign investors.

As the rather dusty economic strategy report say the council/Grainger Wards Corner development has the power to attract a food shop with the status of Iceland – oooh the council will gasp but the new media kids will yawn on their way elsewhere.

Yes mum’s gone to Iceland but dropped the new media kids off (now making vast cash) on route to an attractive well planned area. Then Iceland closed for on line shopping and the towers lock up and leave occupants all shopped and play in Kings Cross. The end (before it actually started to regenerate).

rent was cheap 5 years ago but most creatives will move out come next year cos their rents are getting ridiculous... and the pizza express will roll in to a generic new build of the current architectural trend.. forgetting the beauty of England (and the particular building of wards corner) is history.. use it don't lose it! 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service