Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

As mentioned over here the first of the traffic study workshops was tonight.

There were a bunch of posters presenting various options and you could put a post-it note on them saying what you thought.

Photos of the posters are in a zip file here.

The workshop is repeated this Saturday so if you have any comments tell someone who's going along.

To make it easier and for those not invited along to the workshops here's all the proposed options in a survey. Add your choices and I'll forward along all the answers.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/KLYYVB5

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study

Views: 1358

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

BTW I think I've more or less given up on the idea of angled parking - I think a 30 degree angle would require just over 4m of the carriageway width, leaving 3.5 of the current road for cars and bikes - not enough for shared use unless the road was made access only, in which case Option 5 is probably better. I suppose you could reduce the width of the pavements to 2m (which is still wider than they are now with pavement parking), but that might be ruled out on ground of cost.

I think realistically most of the options will be ruled out due to cost. A segregated cycle lane the length of Wightman would be really expensive. They said they've applied for just £350k for 2017/2018 for the outcomes of this study to be spent over the whole study area.

For these Wightman options I think option 2 still has two lanes of traffic so wouldn't reduce the traffic volume much, options 3, 4, and 5 would likely cost way too much, so it looks like Option 1 is the the only one that is affordable enough to actually get done in the near future.

That certainly would be a shame as that would be a terrible option for cycling unless something else would be done to control the amount of traffic, as you would be forcing cyclists into tight areas with cars.

With the cycle lane options, have they considered just painting the lane on rather than making it raised and segregated initially, surely this would cost far less initially, and then it could be upgraded at a future point when more funds are available.

If they were going to go with option one, it would seem to be sensible to keep one side of the road with cars mounted on the pavement to at least make it a bit safer for cycling.

I don't know the actual cost, but cycle lanes can be segregated really quickly and cost-effectively with those rubber armadillo things.

I suggested expensive from overhearing one of the HCC people talking about it at the Thursday workshop saying it would be "really" expensive.

Lets have someone ask at the traffic workshop this afternoon - who's going along to that?

Option 4 would be my favoured one, and it's good to see that they haven't tried to cut down the cycle lane width so it ends up barely usable.

In terms of cost, I guess planters and armadillos would be the way to go at the start. A mention here that 4.2km of segregated lanes were done for £900k https://www.gov.uk/government/case-studies/protected-cycle-lanes-sa...

Attached are the survey results I handed in at yesterdays workshop for the FoHP/FoFP/HCG response. It had had 42 responses in the 24 hours it had been open.

Attachments:

And from that these were the 10 most and least favorite:

Top 10 most popular

1.32 WR-09 Wightman Pavements made safe and accessible
1.35 AW-06 Improve streetscape
1.38 AW-17 Minimise noise / vibration
1.42 LA-06 More pedestrian access to Finsbury Park
1.42 LA-12 One-way and turn bans around Willoughby Rd
1.44 GL-20 Make Green Lanes more green
1.46 AW-09 Encourage use of sustainable modes for school run
1.47 GL-06 Discourage parking on Green Lanes
1.47 HE-02 Pedestrian route btw Gardens and Arena
1.50 SA-07 provide safe crossings around Chestnuts school

10 Least popular

3.60 HE-04 Convert Hermitage closures to rising bollards
3.42 HE-05 Remove Tiverton barrier
3.14 LA-02 Make Ladder roads runin same direction
3.07 WR-03 Make Wightman one-way
3.00 AW-01 reopen all closed roads
2.96 LA-14 Allow cycling in Harringay Passage
2.86 SA-04 Make Etherly Rd one-way
2.77 SA-01 Allow southbound traffic from North Grove - St Anns
2.71 SA-05 Reconfigure Harringay rd one-way system
2.70 AW-02 Extend hours of CPZs

Ant - re the survey which you kindly compiled for us to complete - is there a deadline date for completion?

First thing tomorrow morning.

Hi Ant, what will you do with the results?  Send them to the council? Thanks for making the survey.

It's too often the case that the wider public don't get to have their say until solutions are whittled down to the final list. At the last Steering Group Meeting, I requested that this doesn't happened with this project and that people get an opportunity to have their say on a range of options. Accordingly a further round of public engagement is due early in the New Year. That will be an opportunity for everyone to have a proper examination of a short-list of options, prior to the final choice being made. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service