Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

As mentioned over here the first of the traffic study workshops was tonight.

There were a bunch of posters presenting various options and you could put a post-it note on them saying what you thought.

Photos of the posters are in a zip file here.

The workshop is repeated this Saturday so if you have any comments tell someone who's going along.

To make it easier and for those not invited along to the workshops here's all the proposed options in a survey. Add your choices and I'll forward along all the answers.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/KLYYVB5

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study

Views: 1358

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In a completely unscientific survey I watched the traffic exiting from Warham to Wightman for about 15 minutes and it was about 50/50 turning left and right.

1) Maybe - but for the average cut-through-er Warham is closer to Endymion and Harringay Road seems like "backtracking" perhaps.

2) 50/50 - could well be depending on the time of day. My unscientific anecdotal observation is the 7-9 am time frame which is when Warham is most abused and I am on my bicycle right there with the traffic flow and 4 of 5 tend to turn left. 

I have noticed that since I have a new bike (last one stolen) so I can ride again the council has put more traffic counter wires on Warham, so at least they are looking at it.

Google is not a great navigator when it comes to going the quickest way through streets in London to avoid traffic snarls.  I think its logarithm automatically goes for the 'biggest' street.  If I were going that way then I would go Harringay Rd/Green Lanes/Ladder rung.  On the way back Google always sends you down Frobisher. 

Knavel - If your particular ratrunners are heading south on Wightman then presumably they were previously heading south on Green Lanes, hence the need to prevent right turns from Green Lanes into a rung too.

At some point implementing this sort of one-way, no-right-turn system will probably still have some gaps, even if you change the one-way direction of some of the rungs. Not least because of St Anns. This is another sense in which it is a compromise solution, eliminating most but not all ratrunning, compared with making Wightman access-only.

Hi Ant - thanks for this.

If the costs borne to whomever are presented in economic terms, I am yet to see any such 'benefits' applied in economics terms? 

Will anyone (i.e. SDG) be doing this for all externalities and community benefits? I trust they have some good economists on board, which was part of their procurement.

How else are options appraised? Cheapest first and/or who shouts the loudest/gets the fattest petition/lobbies the consultant)?

What is the scoring system for decision making? How is value for money being realised (important I assume in such austere times)

I see the costs of upgrades all over the report, which is great. But don't see any other 'costs' (such as air quality, extra time in journey to work, health, etc). I won't be able to make any objective comments without this information (of course can give my biased opinions :))

That's a good point we haven't heard much about economic benefits and reduced externalities. Even simple things like the Hewitt no-right-turn - cost about £10K to install but presumably paid for itself quite quickly from CCTV enforcement? How much has National Grid spent digging up Wightman Road in the last 20 years trying to repair the cast iron gas mains that are forever leaking because of traffic vibrations?

yep - trying to run a justification on capex alone does not wash. It will go for 'fit the budget' rather than 'highest impact'. Or dare I say it - best use of public money. 

Until we have the facts quantified for all options, this will become a beauty contest for who can make the best/most detailed case for their idea. Because of what's important to them. 

For this we need someone to put this together. Have the consultants employed by the council done this? If not why not?

http://www.newyorker.com/cartoons/a20602

So we get £350K but cycling gets £770m??. Surely the council could do some tapping into the cycling initiative (link below)? I see that none of the proposals under consideration come anywhere near the area in question--our area--but what about this bit:

"It will also involve more so-called mini-Holland schemes in suburbs, which involve reducing through-traffic on quiet residential streets, and more than a dozen quietway routes along back streets."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2016/dec/05/sadiq...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service