Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

As I write, a tree is currently being felled in Umfreville Road  to enable the paving of the footway to be completed.  The contractors could not lay the paving stones flat because of the roots.  I am shocked at the destruction of a mature and healthy tree for cosmetic purposes and wonder how many other trees will be felled  for this reason. There is a larger tree further up Umfreville Raod which will probably meet the same fate. And what about the mature plane trees lining Burgoyne Road? If the paving process moved on to the next road? Are these all to be felled as well??

I was about to ring the number on the notice attached to the tree to suggest that  an alternative approach be considered but heard the chain saw in action so it is now too late for this tree. Having just tried to ring the two numbers provided on the notice, one is not recognised and the other is not answered and doesn't have voice mail. 

I have seen elsewhere in Haringey that large trees have been surrounded by a patch of tarmac that can accommodate any uneveness due to surface roots. This seems to be a much better solution to the problem of uneven surface roots.

Tags for Forum Posts: trees

Views: 935

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Glad to hear people care about the street trees. I'm wondering why the council is spending so much on felling trees when they are short of money? We had a tree nearby felled today as well because it was allegedly damaging Council property and many trees felled in Downhills Park too for "insurance" reasons.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service