Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Volunteer for Wildlife at St. Ann's this Saturday (Feb 9th but also 9th and 18th March)

After local group StART's campaign for genuinely affordable housing, the GLA have bought all 7 hectares (the right-hand half on the map below) from the Barnet, Enfield and Haringey NHS Trust (BEH), who had planned a mere 14% affordable homes there. 

The GLA promise 50% affordable. They appointed StART (who want 65%, genuinely affordable in perpetuity) to lead the GLA Steering Group tasked with delivering 800 homes on the site. 

The land is rich in rare and precious trees​​. A strip of woodland runs the entire length of  the St Ann's site (at the top of the photo). The strip is designated a Site of Interest for Nature Conservation (SINC). Local conservation groups the London Wildlife Trust, TCV (The Conservation Volunteers) Railway Fields and St Ann's Green Space have formed a unique partnership with BEH (the NHS Trust who operate the Hospital and own the leftmost 40% of the site) and the GLA/StART in order to preserve and enhance the entire woodland strip. The project is funded by Network Rail.

Over the next three months, coordinated by TCV and under the guidance of the London Wildlife Trust, there is an opportunity to volunteer to help improve the SINC. No prior knowledge needed, free training is offered if wanted. The first event was last month, there'll be one this month and two more in March. You can drop by for a short time or stay for the whole experience.

Getting involved with nature and learning alongside like-minded friends and neighbours are among the nicest things anyone can do in their own backyard, so please come along on:

Saturdays 9th Feb and 9th March and Mon 18th March. 

Sessions start at 10:30am and finish at 3pm​. Meet outside the cafe in Chestnuts Park at 10:3am - water\tea\coffee will be provided but best bring your own lunch.​

Meet outside Chestnuts Cafe 10:30am.​

Contact Mat from TCV on m.pendergast@tcv.org.uk (tel 07823 444325) if you can, to let us know you're coming (or just turn up).

Event details here.

Poster here.

Tags for Forum Posts: learning, nature, outdoors, st ann's redevelopment, volunteering, wildlife

Views: 303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here are some photos from the last event to give you an idea of what is involved:

Hi Chris, I live on Cornwall Rd and will bring my toddler to have a look as he fascinated by all the things that you do at Railway Fields and the Wildlife Trust activities at the two wetlands. I would like to have a chat about what Tidy Up Tottenham want to do in the area. We have an idea for an environmental event that coincides with the Keep Britain Tidy Spring Clean. One event is going be around Chestnuts Park. Generally I have a vision for how the local community could harness the collective power of the groups involved here to have an impact on the whole community. The aerial view shows the natural linkage between the hospital and the park. 

Good news Robert, thanks. It's easy to pop down and have a look around, pitch in if you fancy it or just observe. 

Wish I could be with you but I'm on a pre-arranged trip to Sheffield - there'll be others there - Mat Pendergast is a key contact, worth meeting.

I'll message you with a view to meeting up.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service