Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The BBC reports on a new trend amongst music lovers for sitting down on big sofas and armchairs, putting a whole album on to the turntable and listening. In silence. No talking. No going to the toilet. No phones. No tweeting.

Lights down and a pint to hand, appreciating the nuances of Ziggy Stardust or Dark Side of the Moon or the first Stone Roses album. 

The idea comes from a sense that the pick n mix approach to music means that your daily soundtrack becomes an endless stream of random tunes thrown up by the shuffle button or a background noise while you update your facebook status, chat to your mates in the bar and check the footie scores. Down with music as part of your multi-tasking day! 

So, if you were to join the Harringay Classic Album Appreciation Society, what would you pop on the turntable first?

For me, I think I'd start with The Beatles Revolver, but where would we go from there...over to you.

Tags for Forum Posts: music

Views: 677

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How would you define a classic album? Is it a generational thing?

Off the top of my head my choice would probably be Ten by Pearl Jam, Nevermind by Nirvana, Siamese Dream by Smashing Pumpkins or Appetite for Destruction by GNR. There's more but those are the first things I could think of.

Well, it could be a generational thing, but my choice of Revolver came out the year I was born, (the day after I came into the world in actual fact, but that's not why I chose it).

Another way of looking at it is an album that hangs together in some way, where every song seems to fit. It doesn't have to be contemporary to one's youth (although I guess it often is) and can come from any era or genre. 

I am a Liverpudlian and remember the music and the excitement they caused us all - I was thrilled most by Please Please Me (at age 11) - it was made on a February day in 1963 because the eponymous single was at number one:

I've never really been a beatles fan myself but I always meant to check out revolver and also the white album because a friend of mine at school used to rave about them. Haven't got round to it yet though.

But if it's about how an album hangs together I would suggest the following do this really well for me (even if not all are that old):

Soulsavers - Broken (with mark lanegan)

Mike Patton - Mondo Cane and Lovage

Florence and the Machine - Lungs

Temple of the Dog

Mad Season - Above

REM - Automatic for the People

Radiohead - The Bends

Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea - PJ Harvey

Yield - Pearl Jam

Binaural - Pearl Jam (can you tell I was a bit of a grunge fan yet lol:P)

They all have an element of "classic" about them but I think I'll stop there, or I'll probably go on forever! loll

Great choices, I'd find time to listen to;
Radiohead OK Computer
Velvet Underground and Nico Banana album

And Joanna Newsom anyone, Ys is fantastic - would love to listen to that in a dark room with no distractions (apart from my husband pulling out his nails in horror at the thought...)

I'm with you on Joanna Newsom!

My choice would be Joni Mitchell's masterpiece Hejira

Azeem

+1 any Joni Mitchell album
+1 Velvet Underground and Nico Banana album
I'd put on Zapa's "Waka/Jawaka" (as I often do) to blow away the days cobwebs , whilst making a pot of tea and a sandwich, then settle down to Roxy music "For your pleasure." Bliss!

We could get a group of members together and rotate the venue Count me in!

Could |CDs be permitted and wine??

Forever Changes by Love; Paris 1919 John Cale; Live at the Philmore East Frank Zappa; Bless the Weather John Martyn and I could go on.....
I'll second Paris 1919, beautiful album.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service