Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

What to do with your Christmas tree when the festive season is over

Hint: It's not this

If you receive a green garden waste collection, you can cut your tree into smaller pieces (maximum length 1 metre or 3 feet) and put it out for collection. It is essential that your tree is cut into smaller pieces, otherwise it cannot be collected and, although you probably don't need telling, please remove all decorations and lights.

Alternatively, you can take them to designated sites in the parks from Monday 9 January 2012 until Sunday 29 January 2012.

Your nearest site is likely to be the The Gardens Community Garden, Doncaster Gardens, N4 operating from Sat 7th to Sun 22nd January 2012 9am to 4pm Only
or
Finsbury Park (staff yard), Endymion Road, N4

You can also take Christmas trees to the following places.

• Woodside Park (staff yard), High Road, N22
  • Priory Park (staff yard), Barrington Road, N8
  • Albert Road Recreation Ground (staff yard), Bidwell Gardens, N11
  • Down Lane Recreation Ground (staff yard), Park View Road, N17
  • Downhills Park (staff yard), Downhills Park Road, N17
  • Bruce Castle Park (staff yard), Lordship Lane, N17

Trees are collected and turned into valuable mulch. Last year we reported on the annual collection from the Community Gardens and, as usual, ran the annual Spot the Dead Christmas Tree competition where members compete to see who can spot the last Christmas tree of the previous year. I believe the record is May, held by John D.

Happy recycling New Year!

Tags for Forum Posts: christmas tree disposal, christmas tree recycling, christmas trees

Views: 652

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm on my third Christmas with a living Nordmann fir that I found dumped on my street at the end of January 2008 - it's still doing well, though with a few slightly scruffy branches. They need to be kept well watered and I did pot it up once, but won't do again as it will make it too heavy to lift indoors. I must have saved about £100 on cut trees by now.

I spotted my first dumped tree in the passageway yesterday.

Are we still running the competition to spot the tree that has been dumped/ abandoned the latest in the year?

We cut ours up and the recycling guys took it away from the white garden waste bags we left with our recycling. It was a bit of a punt, but they were very good in taking it!

Oh yes, of course, the Dumped Dead Christmas Tree competition is a tradition! Add your spots to this thread.

As I said above, the recycling team will take Christmas trees. Just make sure, if you've got a monster, to chop  it up a bit. The one by the school this morning was so small, it would have gone from the garden as it was, I would have thought. 

I've chopped mine up in to 3 pieces and wait with bated breath to see if they take it away

Fabien Capello is offering the yule tree a new life as furniture.

What a revolting object

Probably even too tall for a milking stool, unless you're milking a camel or giraffe.

we could do this with them

The trees are mulched and the mulch used in the parks, so they don't go to waste.

Although it would be nice to feed an elephant or two, I don't think they have them at London Zoo any more.

that's what happens! haven't you seen the elephant at hornsey recycling yard?

The last 'Photo Shoot' of the elephants at the Berlin Zoo being feed Christmas Trees was this morning at 11:00

http://www.zoo-berlin.de/zoo/tiere-wissenswertes/tier-news/news/art...

and  https://www.google.com/search?q=Weihnachtsbaum+und+Berliner+Zoo+Ele...

This year we have received 3 living trees so far in pots - one found a new home last Saturday in the garden maintenance morning, but I have 2 lovely trees approx 2ft tall potted up in the community garden waiting for good homes. If you are willing to adopt such a tree please do so they are in the Community Garden in Doncaster Gardens waitng with open arms for a good home and free to any taker. The Community Garden is open from 9am to 4pm 7 days a week in the winter-
Today on the way up through the passage to North Harringay School I must have counted 6 or 7 abandoned trees on route on the pavement or juntion of the Passage and Road junctions - its such a sad sight? - Please keep them coming into the Community Garden, thanks Andy

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service