Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I was just in Sainsbury's on Green Lanes and was appalled to see the way people are panic-buying. I was unable to buy pasta or soup. And the sight of so many people filling their trolleys with toilet roll made me want to scream!!! Totally pathetic and unnecessary! 

Some people were clearly loving the drama but giving no thought to those who might now not be able to get the small supplies they need. Should be ashamed!!!

Tags for Forum Posts: coronavirus, coronavirus-antisocial behaviour

Views: 4269

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Those who have to budget carefully on a day to day basis, and can’t afford to buy even a week’s food in advance, will be the ones who are hit hardest by shortages while others sit at home surrounded by food and supplies they will chuck out in a few months when it’s either past it’s sell by date or they no longer want it.

Let's not be too scathing about individuals. People are only trying to do the best thing for their families etc in a time of great worry. As an individual you can't control what everyone else does so the rational thing is to follow the herd. The only realistic way to control it is by enforcing some sort of rationing (either the government or by shops enforcing their own limits on purchases). It's a well recognised "tragedy of the commons" issue. 

I am definitely going to be scathing. They have already been told by the government not to do it as there will be enough to go round. So it just demonstrates a total lack of awareness/thought for others!

Interesting article in the FT today making exactly the point I was trying to get across. 

Would you care to share a link to the FT (I subscribe) or give us the headline. Would be useful.

This morning at Sainsbury only baskets and and small trolleys seemed to be available so perhaps they have decided to try to force a measure of behaviour change.

I hope so. I just went in today and even though they had clearly re-stocked since yesterday they were still out of a lot of the usual stuff (non-fresh)

I reckon in a week or twos time when all the muppets have 10-15 weeks supply of everything the super markets will be full again with stuff they cannot sell.

I was in Iceland on GL earlier and heard two millennials talking. They were flicking at what was on the shelves and bemoaning how rubbish jars of sandwich spread are, "...don't go there" said one. I overheard the other one say "I heard we might have to start eating spam!", I just sniggered as I past them, I cannot believe they even know what spam is.

We're talking about non perishable stuff so it won't really matter if, as you say, the "supermarkets are full again with stuff they cannot sell". To be honest, I think thats probably what will happen - if there's no actual supply chain shock then things will naturally balance out again because people who have stocked up won't need to go shopping again for a while. 

I was amused to see that Tesco had entirely sold out of pasta but the Italian newsagents down the road had loads of different types. Obviously those panic shopping don't have much imagination.

Or indeed those complaining that the panic shopping has left them unable to buy things. 

While being able to shop in various stores is a great way for people to pick up stuff that has been cleared from supermarket shelves, it’s not an option for those who already have to rely on delivery. In my two person household there is one person with a severe mobility disability and another with an almost non-existent immune system while going through chemotherapy. Our supermarket delivery on Sunday had item after item marked as unavailable so I’m left with no choices. With self isolation increasing the situation will get worse for those who cannot, or should not, leave home

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service