Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I was tying to find some information about who used to live in our houses a hundred years ago (and after that up to the present day). I have always wondered about and tried to get a sense of who lived here, and what clues we can find as to what their lives might have been like. When we started chatting about it with my Y2 daughter we started looking for some of the old census data but it looks like you might have to pay for. I thought we could access this sort of thing free. Anyone out there done something similar and have anything of use?

Tags for Forum Posts: census, data, history of harringay, who lived in your house

Views: 2234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you can manage a trip to the London Metropolitan Archives, you can access census records, parish registers and electoral rolls for free. The address is: London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R 0HB,Tel             020 7332 3820.

Excellent, thanks for that!

I'm really interested in this, as my mum was born and lived on Green Lanes during WWII (she and my dad were both North Londoners, but moved away when they got married - I'm the only family member who has returned!)

Her father (my grandad) ran a butchers' shop, somewhere between the arena and Turnpike Lane, and they lived above it. I need to find out the actual number - I wonder if it's still a butchers today...

Do you know the name? The only bucher left is Baldwins.

His name was Magee. But I think he left the butcher's trade in the 1950s and went on to have a bit of a mini-empire in North London, with a number of sandwich shops on Blackstock Road and more beyond.

I found two people called Magee in the 1935 Kelly's Directory for the old Hornsey borough.
Brian T J Magee at 39 Park Avenue South N8
Thomas Magee at 99 Campsbourne Road N8

Either of these ring any bells?
His name was Alfred I think - he was definitely living/working on Green Lanes in 1940 - not sure about 1935.

I've just added an interesting individual, a onetime Carthusian monk (!) turned popular zoologist Henry Scherren (1843-1911), to People from Harringay on Wikipedia. He lived at 9 Cavendish Road from the mid-1890s until his death. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Scherren.

Great - I've just added the 11th Harringay Virtual Blue Plaque to our map

The blue plaque thingy is great - very impressed to find out that the inventor of the Times Roman font lived in Harringay!

Yes, I suggested that 'Harringay' on the temporary banner could reflect this by using the TR font, but a London Underground style font was chosen instead which is very nice but has no link to Harringay so it's a bit of a shame.

Hi Justin,

I've done some work on my house/road -  and started with Kelly's directories.  These show who lived in which houses but entries were voluntary, so your house may not always be there.  We have some Kelly's at Hornsey Historical Society, Old School House, Tottenham Lane (corner Rokesley Ave.) and the Archive Team is there every Friday morning to help. Pop in! We don't have a complete set of Kelly's, but they do at Bruce Castle - phone them to make an appointment to visit the archives.   Lots more info. on the 1911 census, but I don't know of any way of accessing it without paying.   I go through findmypast.com it's easier to use than the other favourite site ancestry.com.   You can join or pay-as-you-go.  Amazingly I was visited one day by the granddaughter of one of the early residents of my house - she just popped by on spec.  Have you looked at your deeds?  They may give you some info.   Good hunting!  Sorry if you already have all this info. - have only just joined HoL!

Jennifer

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service