Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I can imagine wheelchair users are over the moon about this bodge job on Wightman Road.

Or kids on scooters, or me on a skateboard. Can't beleive they've just left it like this. Am I holding my breath hoping they'll come finish it?

The narrowing of the road to fit cars in better is good in theory but it's making it a pretty hellish place to drive down when people realise they can't fit 2 vans going opposite direction at the same time. It seems they chose more cars of any kind of bike lane then?

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, wightman road improvements

Views: 3373

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One result is that it is at present virtually impossible to drive over the 20 mph speed limit.

I was sceptical as to the possible traffic calming effects of the new layout but will be delighted if there are any. Hopefully less volume too if drivers are now struggling to negotiate the junctions as suggested in other posts.

Well I got a PM from the Council on twitter about this.

As part of the ongoing works, the entry of Atterbury Road is to be resurfaced to remove the current carriageway undulations. The finished level of the carriageway will then be made flush with the pedestrian crossing points. In the interim we have asked our contractor to provide a temporary ramp at the pedestrian crossing to improve access for pedestrians.

Cool story, but how can you just do the job and then leave it like that people to trip over for however long til they come back and finish it properly? Anyone else work in an industry where that's ok? Not me.

Seems like a pretty reasonable response, to be honest. 

I'm not sure painting the previous white road markings black is very helpful for cyclists. In this evening's light drizzle I span my rear wheel on them twice going up the hill by the Shelton.

Experienced cyclists know to avoid painted lines in the wet, but at least they're usually - intentionally - easy to see. Black lines on a rainy night feels like an accident waiting to happen.

You mean the previous 'park on the pavement' marking lines, 2 feet from the pavement. Right on the natural cycling line.....

Markings like that would previously have been burnt off but that's a slow and noisy job. Slap on some dark grey plastic is quicker, quieter and probably cheaper.

What a half-a***d project this is turning out to be, in practice. Though I suppose an accidental long-term effect might be a reduction in Ladder roads traffic - if 'out-of-area' drivers find the Ladder-Wightman junctions too risky some will choose another route. But for Ladder residents, what? Take a friend and a red flag??

These works at the north end of Wightman Road are also a complete botch job, it’s an embarrassment. 

As I posted on another thread, turning left or right out of Raleigh is now incredibly dangerous. Any van parked to the right of the road blocks all view of incoming traffic, making it now a completely blind turn, and turning left means you have to pull right out into oncoming traffic because it’s been squeezed so tight. And it sounds like it’s the same all along the ladder. So well done chaps, you’ve now made Wightman more dangerous for both cyclists and motorists. What pointless, abject meddling this all is. 

oh dear, so i will continue to avoid wightman road and stick to the safer option of green lanes, crazy

I am pretty disappointed in the works so far. The quality as much as anything else. What bright spark thought it was good to paint the old parking space road markings with light grey? Still delineates them and adds more confusion as well as looking looking horrendous. I'm meeting Cllr Sarah James regarding this. If anyone wishes to join me or do something collectively, please get in touch. More action in numbers!

I noticed this too. Super slipperly and some of them run down the middle of the road. Why wouldn't they just burn them off like normal?

I live in Lausanne Road and it's a bit of a nightmare now trying to get out of our street.  As others have mentioned, it's much more dangerous with the blind spots and it's only a matter of time before there is an accident.

Traffic is much worse that it used to be before, with traffic going towards finsbury park backing up to Turnpike Lane in some cases.  I don't see drivers changing their journeys anytime soon.

It really hasn't turned out to be the great change that people were hoping for.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service