Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Some of you might know about the National Garden Scheme - it involves people opening their own private gardens to members of the public on a few dates each year.

The only one in our area is a group of gardens in Wood Green - Railway Cottages. It involves the front gardens of a row of 4 railway cottages and 2 railway cottage back gardens. They'll be open on Sunday July 6th from 2-5.30. £3.50. Am very much hoping to get there - am in need of a bit of gardening inspiration.

By the way, I have sometimes wondered about some us having a far more informal less demanding (and free!) version of this - a chance to see what other local people do with their gardens, chat about what works and doesn't etc. What do others think?

Views: 68

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry, pressed finish before I really was.

I meant to add that I can see all sorts of possible problems with what I'm suggesting which is why I've not posted on it before (I guess mainly to do with people feeling anxious about letting others into their homes/gardens). But I wondered whether if a few of us wanted to do something one Sunday we might be able to work something out.
Would welcome people to come and have a look at my garden. Although after being away for two weeks with nobody keeping an eye on it it has become a little messy. Blackfly have killed all my beans - and are being farmed by ants so none of my efforts at introducing predators is yet to work. Think I need to get some nematodes to eat the ants first! My potatoes have leaped out of their pots and started flowering. And I think the pond has sprung a leak somewhere. The lawn has worn thin and half of my lettuces have been gobbled by greedy gastropods.

Maybe I don't want anyone having a look!

I think this is a great idea though - would enable people to share seeds/produce/etc if they have a glut as well as handy hints.
Wilberforce Gardeners (Brownswood ward - where I live) are already organising such informal event twice a year.

If you like to get in touch with them and extend the event to the other side of Finsbury Park, it could a good opportunity to link people living in N4 area.

Let me know, I know the person behind WG.
I went to see the Railway cottages gardens a few weeks back.

One had a very similar size/shape to what I guess is the typical Harringay garden (ie house width and rectangular) and was north-facing. The owner had no lawn at all and had crammed (at a guess) well over 200 different plants into the space - both horizontal and vertical - with a stone path leading through all the borders. Very inspiring (though not very practical if you have kids - I've been wanting to dig up our lawn for ages but him indoors thinks that would be a little mean to the wee one, bah).

The other one was a big bigger than the typical Harringay garden (well, mine anyway). It was a classic illustration of how effective having different 'rooms' can be when you are trying to divide up a long and skinny space, but the amazing thing was that she managed all this in what looked like quite dense shade.

Anyway, I'd really recommend having a look next time these or any other local gardens are open if you are struggling to work out what might look good in your own garden.
What do you think of FP's suggestion above Alison?

Hi Alison,

Your post is from 2008 so just a quick query. Did you visit these gardens as part of the gardens scheme? Is the owner organising regular visits? I'd love to know: you've certainly made me want to discover this little space. Thanks.

Hi Alice

They are opening again this year - July 10th. More info here.

Sorry FP, I completely missed your message (thanks for pointing it out Hugh). I'd be very interested in how it works in Brownswood - I'll put in a friend request and then we can swap email addresses or whatever.
I've just been posting about a garden over in Muswell Hill and reading about the National gardens Scheme . Thought I'd pull this post out of the archives to see if people are interested in Alison's suggestion of an informal Harringay Garden visiting scheme. I've seen a fair few gardens now on the Ladder and I'm always amazed at how each one is so different.
I'm still up for it if others are!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service