Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

** EDITED - THIS EVENT IS ON SUNDAY 7th JULY, FULL DETAILS HERE **

Last year we had Harringay’s first ever open gardens event – this post is to see if there is interest in doing it again.

The aim was for something that would appeal to a range of people, and that seemed to work very well. For some it might be that they are really keen gardeners and have a lovely garden that they want to show people and are happy to talk about. For others it will simply be about finding out what can be done with a similar space/soil/aspect to their own garden and/or showing their garden to other gardeners to get some ideas. So please don't feel that you can't join in just because you aren't an experienced gardener.

If you’re interested in reading more about last year’s event, have a look at this post/pictures here.

The way it worked was:

• Anyone interested in opening their garden let me know what dates would work for them – I think this year we’d be looking at May/early June.
  • I compiled a list of participating gardens and gave each one an approx time slot (otherwise I can't see a way of people being able both to host a visit and have a look at a few other gardens!).
  • Everyone wrote a brief description of their garden which I then posted online (not with your address) in case people didn’t want to spend the whole day visiting gardens (as if…)
  • Anyone who wanted to visit the gardens then signed up with me and I contacted everyone by email to let them know where they were etc.  

I’m imagining a similar plan this year – I’ll try and tweak the time slots aspect as it did get a bit crowded if everyone turned up all at the same time. And if there is loads of interest we might even have to do it over a weekend...

Not all the gardens were in Harringay and that would be fine again this year (assuming they are local to Harringay) - but those that weren't tended to get slightly fewer visitors because of the extra distance.

Over you to you – let me know if you’re keen, either to visit or to open your garden, and which weekends in May/June would suit you best!

Tags for Forum Posts: gardening, open gardens

Views: 1789

Replies to This Discussion

I thought you did a fantastic job last year Alison - so much so I seem to remember arriving at your door 24 hours (or was it a week?) early! It would be wonderful to see it run again.

I think you were a week early, it was very funny!

Yes I certainly would love to do this again and enter my garden.  It was such fun.  I''m not free on 22/23rd June and 16th would be difficult for me.  Jessica I can't believe the market is 1 in June!  Well done.

I would like to be on the list of visitors please

Our garden is under mass construction at the moment - but if the open day is later rather than earlier we can have it finished and would love to have people round : ) 

This is our garden a couple of weeks ago! 

Last year was such a fantastic day : )

Wow!

Ah well Matt - the garden has potential, as they say!!  Good luck!

Hiya Alison,  I should be happy to take part again both as a host and a visitor.  After the middle of May any weekend till the end of June is OK for now.  The broad picture here is unchanged since last year but I have added a couple of things learned from last year's visits (ie a Tay berry and some comfrey)  also a damson tree planted and some new vegetables tried (yacons and New Zealand yams) which should be growing well be summer.

Mine in SoTo is definitely Under Construction but this time next year...   please add me to the visiting list, thanks.

Alison, it is great you are taking this on again this year since you did such a great job last summer. Depending on the dates, we would be happy to host and to visit at least some gardens. Could NOT do 25-26 May, 1 June or 15-16 June. IF there is a big response, it would be best to prioritise visits to gardens not visited last year to allow more people to participate.

Its coming along! : ) 

We can do any date before the 22nd June apart from June 9th. However 2nd or 16th of June would be great. 

I better get building : ) 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service