Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

All Discussions Tagged 'wightman road' (13)

← Back to History of Harringay
Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Alignment of Wightman and Hornsey Park Roads

The question of exactly when Wightman and Hornsey Park Road were aligned has been asked a few times. I've been able to give a rough answer,…

Started by Hugh

1 Nov 23, 2023
Reply by Hugh

Hornsey and Wood Green Synagogue in pictures

For many years a synagogue stood on the site in Wightman Road where the mosque is now located. The Hornsey and Wood Green Affiliated Synago…

Started by Hugh

3 May 25, 2023
Reply by Hugh

A Tunnel under the Great Northern Line?

This is the second or third time I've seen this rumour. Anyone know if there's anything to it? "As a kid growing up in Harringay I remember…

Started by Hugh

50 Jul 29, 2019
Reply by Hugh

Big House on Wightman at Top of Mattison was Edwardian Nursing Home

And they partied. This from 1900: This house:

Started by Hugh

0 Mar 22, 2019

Harringay House mapped (almost) exactly on modern satellite pic

Liz asked me the other day about the exact position of Harringay House. I pretty much knew it, but wasn't sure exactly. So I took the 1883…

Started by Hugh

7 Mar 10, 2019
Reply by Hugh

Names of Roads on the Harringay Ladder

There is a wide spread popular belief that all roads on the Harringey Ladder between Green Lanes and Wightman Road are named after famous m…

Started by John Hinshelwood

17 Jun 23, 2018
Reply by Hugh

Were you a past member of a Scout or Guide troop in Harringay?

Keith shared this memory here I carried the troop flag for the 75th North London Scouts. The troop was attached to St Pauls Church in Wigh…

Started by Liz

7 Nov 13, 2016
Reply by ROY BOWKER

25th May 1916: Private George Ludlow, 27, of 49 Wightman Road dies at Vimy Ridge

On 21st May 1916, Private George Ludlow, from Harringay, was in France with his regiment, the 20th London.  Following 2 days of a barrage o…

Started by Liz

0 May 26, 2016

History of Harringay Railway Station

I found this little article recently written by a chap called Peter Kay. Some interesting bits of history which are new to me, some nice ph…

Started by Hugh

8 May 16, 2016
Reply by matthew cuthbert

"Lest we forget" - Harringay's 'hidden' war memorial

I am fascinated by war memorials from simple bronze plaques listing names in a village hall to the imposing and deeply affecting Royal Arti…

Started by Liz

4 Aug 11, 2014
Reply by Chris Setz

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service