It's interesting to see this photo entitled as Hanger Green as late as c1910.
Hanger Green was the name used for the common land near the junction of (present-day) St. Ann's Road and (present-day) Blackboy Lane.
This 1915 OS map shows that the structure in the middle of the picture was a drinking fountain. Beyond it are the public toilets. The chimney of the incinerator at St. Ann's Hospital is visible in the distance.
Hanger Green took its name from the Hangers, or great fields that lay opposite, as shown in the Dorset map of 1619 (south is up on this map).
St Ann's Road was originally known as Chisley Lane. It then changed to Hanger Lane, before settling on St Ann's Road by the end of the Nineteenth Century.
Add a Comment