The Pooles Park Tavern stood at 45 Pooles Park Road on the corner of Paddington Street in what used to be known as the Pooles Park area of Finsbury Park. Just around the corner was the infamous Campbell Road, known locally as the Campbell Bunk. From about 1890 to after the Second World War Campbell Road was known as one of the worst streets in London.
The whole area was redeveloped in the sixties and the roads that became so infamous were all renamed. Paddington Street is now Biggerstaff Street and Campbell Road is Whadcoat Street. The name of Pooles Park Road remains the same.
Below is a picture of the pub's interior.
The pub in 1939. Notice that metal grilles have been added to all ground floor windows.
The Seear family owned the pub from 1907 to 1935, The picture below shows William Seear playing the piano in the pub in around 1930.
See also the Bedford Arms, which was a few hundred yards to the west.
Add a Comment