Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I was with Haringey's legal team last week discussing the court case on 26th & 27th February. This is the case in which Metrobet are appealing against Haringey Council's decision to refuse them a gambling licence for the premises on the corner of Warham Road.

Haringey's barrister has said that it will help if residents can come along to the case to show their support. It seems like a lot to ask and I know it'll be difficult for many people to make the time. But, if you can find some time, apparently it will be helpful.

I will try and provide more details. In the meantime you can contact Bridget Burt in the legal team on 020 8489 4631.

Tags for Forum Posts: appeal, betting shops, court, gambling, green lanes, metrobet

Views: 123

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for keeping us posted Hugh. Is there anything people can do if they can't get to the meeting? It think our earlier posts about this said that you couldn't object in writing if you hadn't already done so, or am I getting totally confused?!
No, I think if you can't go, for now there's nothing else I can think of. Thanks for asking.
Hi Hugh,
please keep us posted, I'll definitely go if I can!
Alison perhaps we should drag our weeping bairns in to unfreeze the hardened hearts of the authorities.
No seriously I will be absolutely furious if they build a betting shop at the end of my road. Go get 'em, residents of Harringay.
Just had a look at the Met Police Safer Neighbourhoods newsletter. Lots of ammo against the betting shops there. Am sure this information known to all those involved, but worth a look for anyone on this site who is interested in what problems the existing betting shops on GL have.

There was a lot of media interest a few months back in the situation in Hackney (similar to here, sudden influx of betting shops in very mixed area). One of the claims I remember being made by the betting shop lot was that actually they have little or no impact on crime and antisocial behaviour. Must make sure they don't get away with claiming that here, because is clearly not true!

I work on Tues/Wed but would otherwise be there (though not possibly for two whole days, think Fred might get a little bored!). But if some people coming along for a few hours would help I will see if I could wangle a little working at home on that day ...
Coupla points on that:

1. If anyone wants to attend, I'm told that it's a very small court room. It would be great if we had so many people turn up that they couldn't fit in. So, turn up, make the point and go home - a great impact for a couple of hours of time. It would get the message across. Even if that weren't the case, I think for people just to turn up for the first hour or so would send a strong message. Don't for goodness sake think you need to sit through the whole dull affair - unless of course you want to.

2. You're quite right about the SNT data. It was collated at the campaign's request. Better (gambling shop 3) hired an "investigator" who interviewed another policeman in the area, selectively quoted him as saying there was little gambling shop related crime in the area and saw no issue with additional betting shops opening. The data you read in the SNT newsletter deals with that load of jiggery-pokery quite finally.
On point one, what time do they normally kick off proceedings?
um.........ahh................we're at one week and still waiting for Bridget Burt of the Haringey Legal team to tell me. I mailed Daliah Barrett of the Licensing Team to see if she could get the Legal Team to respond..............and one day I'll hear back and then I'll let you know............pwommith. (But my guess is 0900.)
I'm not wanting to be too paranoid about this, but this is a public website, and as well as being visible to Harringay residents with a vested interest in keeping the area free of crime, this discussion is also visible to Metrobet and their lawyers.

I don't think anything that's been said so far is a big problem, but it might be worthwhile either moving this discussion to one of this site's groups where you have to register and sign up, or keeping the discussion here fairly anodyne and moving the more sensitive stuff to an email newsletter. It's easier for the other side to come up with counter-arguments if they know what residents are planning.
The Court address is The Court House, Bishop Road , Highgate , N6 4HS. Ian and I are meeting Haringey's legal team at nine. One and a half court days are booked but it might be over on Tuesday. You can be sure I'll let you know Tues evening.
Thanks Hugh. Best of luck, will be keeping my fingers crossed.

Just to check - is it Monday/Tues this week or Tues/Wed? The original post said 26/27 but I'm assuming it starts Monday from what you've just said?
Sorry if that wasn't clear. It's Tues and Weds. It may be done and dusted by close of play Tues, but may continue on Weds.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service