We love to champion local businesses and local business people and we're keen to support them, but people who use the site don't want it swamped with posts advertising stuff. So, as things stand, we're trying to balance supporting local business with making sure that the site isn't clogged up with advertising. This means that anyone can advertise. But whether it's free or paid and how you advertise will depend on circumstances.
Here's how we're running things:
1. Commercial Promotion
As one of the busiest online sites in Haringey, Harringay Online offers businesses promotion packages comprising both display advertising and the opportunity to interact with members on the busiest areas of the site. Display advertisements feature in the right hand column on all the busy pages on the website. They are also included in our newsletter sent out to almost 10,000 people every week.
Members registered with a business name through our commercial membership may not in any way promote any other tradesperson or business.
2. Tradespeople & Professional Recommendations
We have a Tradespeople & Other Services Recommendations Listings for members to recommend or comment on tradespeople and professional service providers they have used for the benefit of other members. We maintain this service by tagging posts to try and ensure members can easily find information in it.
3. Commercial Freebies
Businesses advertising free stuff on HoL is a tough one for us. Principally it's difficult for us to distinguish between which free offers we should allow and which to knock back. The most straightforward way for us to handle things is to stick to our policy of no free adverts for businesses.
Any local events offering genuine entertainment or educational value may be added to HoL as event listings. All listings and all events must comply with our normal terms and conditions and our events posting policy. Events advertised in the forum section will be treated as normal commercial promotions.
Any jobs being advertised for any sort of commercial organisation should be place using a newsagent's window advert. Local charities may advertise at no cost.
6. Hotels, B&Bs & Guest Houses
Local hotels, B&Bs and guest houses are featured on local places to stay section. This section is included on the website at the request of members. Whilst we are happy to consider requests for inclusion from any local establishment, inclusion on the page is made on the following terms:
a. Site Admin will determine which establishments are considered as local.
b. Links will be made to the hotel's Trip Advisor review or, if no such review is available, another well known review site. Where no review is available we will not include the establishment on our website
Currently we permit the advertising of private homes for rent as primary permenant accommodation in the local area without charge.
a. holiday lettings in any part of the world, including locally.
b. lettings beyond the local area (please ask if you're not sure).
c. homes for sale.
1. This policy applies to individuals, commercial entities, those presenting under any non-indivudual name and charities with paid staff. Constituted local voluntary organisations including residents' groups, friends groups, charitable groups (See note 5), schools, etc are not covered by this policy.
2. No person or organisation to whom this policy applies may engage in any activity to promote their services or produce, or those of any proscribed entity on Harringay Online in any way without the permission of Site Admin or unless as an agreed part of a commercial membership. For the avoidance of doubt, for any particular member, a entity business includes any business run by the member, or by their partner or by a member of their immediate family. Activities on the site which are covered by this policy, include, but are not necessarily limited to, promoting a proscribed business by:
3. Please do not advertise your business without agreeing it with us first.
4. In the event that a business owner learns that their business has been criticised, they have a right to respond. Any such responses must stay within what is reasonable in the context.
5. Any local charities that want to join up under their charity name and aim to use the website to fundraise will need to be registered or be prepared to satisfy HoL about the management of funds raised and their policy on fundraised income being retained to cover fundraising costs or other expenses. We would hope that any charity would be prepared to share basic information of this sort with Harringay Online members.
Questions & Comments
Any questions or comments about this policy can be addressed to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: 2nd November 2017