Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I was wondering if anyone has any idea where I can find a damper flap for my fireplaces? A damper flap is what sits inside the fireplace, on top of the insert, and it stops drafts coming down the chimney (stick your head in, look up, and imagine a sheet of metal blocking the chminey).
That's what I want it for anyway, am desperately trying to make my house a bit more energy efficient for the winter.

My problem is that I need a square one, not the usual rounded ones.

If anyone has any idea what I am talking about and where to get one, let me know! I have tried the place on Tottenham Lane already.

..not expecting a lot of replies here, but worth a shot.

Tags for Forum Posts: damperflap, fireplace

Views: 1349

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's a fireplace shop next to Stanford Hill railway station that might be able to help - it's pretty small but has all sorts of stuff and quite cheap usually.
this could be an alternative:

http://www.chimney-balloon.co.uk/
Thanks guys, both great suggestions! Would prefer a proper flap, but the balloon sounds like an excellent plan B.
I would also like one! I have one in the living room fireplace but there was never one in the bedroom. I put bits of cardboard etc there now but that's not very good. So.. thanks for posting this request and would be happy to hear if anyone knows where to get one.
Ruth
Ruth, check out Adam's suggestion re. the chimney balloon. I'm going to get one of those.
I know the shop on Tottenham Lane does the round flaps, so if you need one of them you can go there and will most likely find one. I need a square one, and they're harder to find apparently.
let me know what you think of it when you do get it - i am keen to get rid of my gaffer taped piece of cardboard!!
Promise, just need to measure and order.
thanks for the suggestions. Going to try the shop (didnt know it was there) and if no luck the balloon. At the moment behind the cardboard is a bin bag stuffed with old clothes.... a sort of balloon but probably a real fire risk (not that I light fires in the grate) Would prefer to be warm and safe. and to lose the cardboard!
I went to the shop to get a chimney sweep last week (to satisfy my mary poppins issues). it's great and they are really helpful
I once had chimney sweep here too. I took photos of the brush coming out top of chimneys. how sad... Just felt very cleansing though!
Ruth, that means good luck, to see the brush coming out the top! That's what the guy who did my chimney told me when he dragged me out of the house to have a look. And it llooked very cool indeed!
It was a few years ago now I had that done so maybe should get a sweep back so I can get a bit more good luck! I think that last lot ran out.... I do keep getting a lot of stuff falling down as well so... how much did it cost?
thanks

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service