Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

If anyone is in any doubt as to why this man wanted to be a councillor, this is a letter he sent to St Ann's Labour Party members asking for support for his selection as a candidate:

St Ann’s Branch Labour Party

Dear Members,

Thank you for short listing me in St Ann's ward.

I would relish the opportunity to represent you and the residents of St Ann's in Haringey council.

I have been living in Haringey for 12 years and running a pharmacy on Green Lanes serving the community for the last 7 years.

I am very familiar with issues facing St Ann’s ward residents and residents in Haringey as a whole.

I’m fully engaged with the business community in Haringey and campaigned and promoted issues on their behalf.

As an example, I managed to petition for the reduction of business rates as well as the cost of rubbish collection.

I successfully campaigned which led to the reduction of the cost of rubbish collection from £7000 to £3000 from once a week to twice a week, more than half the price reduction.

I know very well the issues facing small businesses in the borough and on Green Lanes and I am best placed to help meet those needs.

As a healthcare professional I am aware of issues people in Haringey are facing, such as bad housing conditions i.e. lack of affordable housing, overcrowding which affect people’s health.

We will need to address these issues by building more social and affordable housing.

If selected as your councillor I will work hard with my fellow ward councillors to tackle issues in the ward such as anti-social behaviour, housing, health and work to support the businesses on green lanes.

I will also work as part of the labour administration to make sure we continue to deliver policies that benefit all residents across the borough.

I will campaign hard to ensure we keep St Ann's ward labour and deliver labour wards across the borough.

I am a hard worker and will hold regular surgeries and campaign hard to ensure the needs of residents of St Ann's are well represented on Haringey council.

I look forward to meeting you and hopefully being selected as your representative.

Kind Regards,

Ali Gul Ozbek

Tags for Forum Posts: election2014, harringay stadium slopes, labour

Views: 3860

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks John for expressing my point much more clearly.
We all have the right to question what went on at the selection meeting, the outcome has direct implications for us all.

The facts stand. Using a business address instead of a residential address is against party rules. We have all been taken advantage of, its not particularly nice, especially at first impression.

Does the Labour Party still want to try to uphold this? Entirely unacceptable and short-sighted.

I'm sure he's a decent bloke who has perfectly good intentions - but I think living in the area is a fundamental prerequisite to working in its residents' best interests, and it has to be taken seriously if he does not indeed live in the area. Particularly when the party itself states this as a requirement!

At the very least, I think that the party should admit to knowing about this (or to overlooking it) and to try and make a case for why a local person was not put forward.

This thread has been edited by site admin to remove comments directed at Mr Ozbek's character. Discussion of his political beliefs and activities is permitted within the house rules; comments of a personal nature are are not.

I suspect that St Ann's Meadow has some kind of interest in the Arena Business Centre on the other side of the railway from the hospital. Certainly the Crusader Industrial Estate is owned by SEGRO who are keen to see it turned into mixed use residential, if you read this.

Very Interesting Alison.

On re-reading it myself the language used is subtly ambiguous, i.e. you couldn't accuse him of lying. Almost as if a lawyer helped him write it.

Very interesting Rachel

I meant Rachel too!!!!! apologies Rachel, that'll be my dyslexia. Out of interest, I wonder why our local lib-dem councillors have not been so vocal? There are a whole lot of votes up for grabs as result of Johns investigations.

Following this with great interest. If we dive in we will be accused of taking political advantage. Not interested in doing that. First and foremost my main priority has been to serve my residents as best as I possibly can. The Labour group don't need any help from me to show themselves for what they are. Residents will,consider intelligently who will work hardest for them and who they can trust - choosing the best candidates is in their hands - I am confident they will do the right thing and make the right choice for the local community.

The St Ann's meadow property company that Ali is a director of own this block of land here. It has no planning permission but you can imagine that it is worth a lot more if you can build a block of flats on it. I presume Ali knows that there is no way he will be able to influence the council in respect of this.

I would be very cynical if I said that explains things, but there is a bit of an 'Aha' reaction to that.

That bit of land, if cut through, would connect Fins. Pk Rd and Hermitage Road. Would that be a good idea?

Does anyone know how many land owners/property developers there are on the council, both sides?

Ali has recieved some very positve press in one of the local Turkish papers (here). Sadly it has completely discounted both Nilgun and Emine as Turkish councilors/candidates (not because they're women, obviously...).

Please excuse the Google translation:

Ali Gul Ozbek, local elections expected to be held in May 2014 in the grounds of being the candidate of the Workers Party , said: " In our region, the Turkish population density . I've been nominated to be their voice in local government . A bridge between residents and municipalities want to be . Solutions to their problems and want to move to municipalities . Our society as a tradesman is not alone in their complaints of different cultures in the region , as a pharmacist in the health and social problems, I think I know . "

Uzbek , " the Labour Party St . Anna 's blood exchange was the first time in the region . Chose new names and energetic . I think my chances of being selected is high . Labour Party strong in this region for many years ... "he said. Haringey Labour Party members of the society of the other candidates Makbule from Tottenham Green and Bounds Green Sun 's Ali Demirci .

ALI ROSE ÖZBEK WHO?

Kahraman Maras Elbistan born . He graduated from the department of chemistry in Turkey . From 1992 until lives in London . He graduated from the faculty of pharmacy . He has worked in hospitals and pharmacies .
In 2007, " 73 Grand Parade Green Lanes in Haringey N4 was the first " address from 9 am to midnight 7 days a week serving the pharmacy opened Med Chem

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service