Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Why ????

Tags for Forum Posts: greening harringay, street trees, trees

Views: 310

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I blogged this road three years ago, yep its time for an update.
. . . And apologies to Liz for not mentioning her Harringay in Bloom set on Flickr. Especially with some trees and shrubs now sweetly blooming.
Thanks Alan, although with the lateness of Spring and the poor weather, only the last 6 pictures from that set are from this year (and they were taken on a dull day).

I think the neighbours are getting used to me snapping their front gardens or pointing the camera up to get glimpses of lovely trees from the Harringay Passage. We lost a big street tree at the GL end of Warham last year and since they have now tarmacked over the hole, I can only assume we won't be getting a replacement.
goodbye ole tree

As to the points raised above about greening front gardens, we had a concrete garden front and back. We put in some raised beds and screwed some wooden planters to our window sills but for tenants/people with no space a growbag and some plastic pots (we also have those) will soon make a green space.

Warham Gardener
I was in Munich over the weekend and came across this novel idea for trees near to tarmac..

The bike lane is tarmac, but concrete with watering holes has been laid next to the trees to help with watering.

Oh dear, Stephen, we don't recognise this view at all.

The infrastructure looks designed.
The bike lane looks, well, usable.
No potholes, misaligned paving stones, litter (no, wait a moment, is that a piece of paper next to the bike?).
This Munich of which you speak must be a mythical land far away?
yep alistair, I did say we also have litter

BTW, the green strip down the middle of the road is tram track - notice giveaway wires.. which leads two stops along to this:

sorry had to get a tram photo in.. the bike lane here is not ideal, running along the left hand side of the tramshed.. :o)
Tut, Tut, Stephen. As you know, most Haringey staff are expressly forbidden to view Flickr, YouTube, and other social media sites. So the poor things are protected from your dangerous Continental photos. But here you go, smuggling ideas into the borough through HoL.

Don't think we haven't realised what you're up to. Sure, it starts with the softer stuff: a few more street trees with some permeable surfacing. But how long before you're advocating tree-lined boulevards and guerrilla gardens on every corner? Not to mention deposit-back bottles and cans; solar-powered street signs; and consistently colour-coded recycling bins everywhere across London.

(Labour councillor & candidate Tottenham Hale ward)
But what Stephen doesn't tell you is that the dog turds are ten fold compared to Harringay, from my experience and seven times to Germany. Minimal litter and scores of pluses, but maybe the Germans could seek advice from the Brits with regards to the battle of the turds : )
@Birdy: The turds ARE a Berlin phenomenon -mainly because Berliners have four or five times more dogs than anywhere else in Germany.. and no back gardens.. probably more dogs per square mile than in Harringay too.. but that certainly isn't a problem in München..

I'm sure I've mentioned that before on HoL and I've also posted a dog-turd bag dispenser photo here more than once and one also appears on my cleaner streets flickr-set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/isarsteve/sets/72157605356138332/show/

but thanks for mentioning it.. so that we can keep the record straight..
I wonder, does Berlin also have the so-called ' dog training' problem? For example, with tree branches gnawed; and kids' play equipment damaged - including the seats of park swings chewed away.

A number of residents - older people especially - tell me they are frightened to go into some of our parks. Because of a few owners who like to use their dogs as an intimidating 'weapon'.

(Labour councillor & candidate Tottenham Hale ward)
Why is it that Berlin can produce something so beautiful and we end up with Turnpike Lane Bus Station and "ollywood Green" (the H seems to have dropped off). Stephen - please send enlightened planners and architects to Haringey without delay.
You're not suggesting are you Michael, that Wood Green Shopping City – an all-in-house LBH designed creation – is less than planning perfection?

I only mention this because a former LBH CEO held this up WGSC as a paradigm of Haringey's experience of handling large building projects (the UK Treasury Solicitor begged to differ, see page 5 of this – NB pdf is 3.5mb)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service