Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I've heard some shocking stories of people having to flee for their lives, just grabbing their kids and running out in their nightclothes taking nothing. Does anyone know what is being done for these poor people, or if a fund has been set up to help them?

Tags for Forum Posts: london troubles

Views: 3969

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Posting this here so it doesnt get lost - Vancouver had a riot in June, the day after, thousands turned up with brooms and shovels to help the clean up. Once Tottnm High Road is opened, can we organise to get stuck in and get the clean up done?  

6pm I think they are about to demolish the burnt-out carpet shop according to TV news.

The Gold Room at Tottenham Leisure Centre is open tonight until nine for donations.  Go via West Green Road for as much of the journey as you can before turning north, because Phillip Lane is clogged with rerouted buses.  Plenty of parking in the leisure centre car park.

I just took clothing, bedding and shoes.  A mum and a little girl were there going through the bags looking for things that fit them.  It was really sad.

Just taken some clothes and toiletries down to Tottenham Green Leisure Centre, the staff didn't seem to know what was going on or how they were going to be distributed, hopefully the donations will make their way to the people who need them!

calamityjane65 is asking the following on Twitter

Is there a collection centre that's not in Tottenham. Want to donate but don't want to get caught up in it.

Is anyone heading up that way or know of an alternative drop-off?

Apex House is in South Tottenham, not going to get caught up in anything there I'd say: Map

Email sent to all councillors this evening by Claire Kober.

----- Original Message -----

To: Labour Councillors; LibDem Councillors; Independent Councillor
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2011 5:52 PM
Subject: Headline Figures - Briefing Note for Members

I am writing to update you with some headline figures following events in Haringey over the weekend and today. Please note that the information below is based on provisional best-available figures as of 4pm August 8th.

Tottenham update

Our emergency housing team has been working around the clock since the disturbances over the weekend to provide support for people displaced by damage to their homes.

In all 29 people have approached the council for support – either through the emergency rest centre set up over the weekend at Tottenham Green Leisure Centre or by other means – and we have been able to find alternative accommodation for all of those people.

The total number of badly damaged residential properties is in the region of 45 – so it is likely that a number of people have in addition made their own arrangements for alternative accommodation.

Donations of clothes have been made by local church groups and residents – these are currently at Apex House and are available for collection. Metropolitan Housing are also advising their displaced leaseholders of this.

Offers of accommodation have also been made by landlords – we are contacting them as necessary.

Anyone requiring assistance should call 020 8489 0000 or go to the council’s housing offices at Apex House 820 Seven Sisters Road,Tottenham.

Background information

The full picture of damage along Tottenham High Road resulting from the disturbances is as follows:-

- Five buildings have been assessed by Building Control as having serious structural damage and therefore being dangerous structures – ie:

• 662 High Road (three storey building) – completely burnt out
  • Carpet Right Building (commercial premises + 26 flats ‘River Heights’) – completely burnt out and controlled demolition expected to tart today
  • ALDI Supermarket and Fitness First – burnt out and roof collapsed
  • 530-536 High Road / corner of Dowsett Road – burnt out and with a dangerous flank wall. Associated damage to 14 residential properties in Windsor Parade.
  • 436-442 High Road – William Hill premises gutted

In addition three council buildings have been damaged and temporarily closed for business – ie:

• 639 High Road – premises for almost 100 Planning, Building Control and Homes for Haringey staff. Staff being relocated to River Park House.
  • 684 High Road – premises for Mental Health services. 8 staff and a number of service users have been moved to Clarendon Day Centre.
  • 476 High Road – premises for over 60 Youth Offending Service staff. Staff have been moved to the Council’s Professional Development Centre near Turnpike Lane.
In addition to the major damage mentioned above, it is estimated that at least 100 premises have suffered some form of damage on and around the High Road / Tottenham Hale.
It is expected that Lansdowne Road and Dowsett Road will remain closed until demolition of the burnt out buildings has been completed and safety officials are still assessing how long Tottenham High Road next to the “Carpetright” building needs to remain closed.

The section of High Road between Bruce Grove and Monument Way is a TfL road so they will be assessing the cost of the damage to this.

Yours sincerely

Claire Kober

Leader

Haringey Council

River Park House

I just called Haringey Council's Emergency Housing Service and spoke with Emergency Housing Officer Mark Billings.

Where - Apex house is at 820 Seven Sisters Road

When - Open from 0845 tomorrow. PLEASE DON'T LEAVE STUFF OUTSIDE OVERNIGHT

What - Mark said "Just imagine that you've been locked out of your house and think what you'd need". Right now toiletries and toothbrushes would be much appreciated. They've been given some Duvets by Ikea but need duvet covers, nappies, babies milk...........I guess we can fill in the blanks.

Thanks everyone for informing us about what we can do/donate and where. I will go over tomorrow morning to Apex house with some things.

Hi everyone,

I'm actually living in the U.S., but I want to really help out by donating anything I can... Is there an international donation site set up to help the people that have been affected by this? I don't have a lot to give, but I want to give everything that I can. I'm really very sad about all this, I'm sorry that this has happened. I hope everyone can at least find some peace of mind soon or stay safe in the mean time.

That's kind of you Tabitha. Nothing's been set up yet, but hopefully over the next few days.
I hope so too. I'll be keeping eyes and ears out for anything that I hear. Safety and peace to everyone in the UK, I have you all in my thoughts.

Apex House is very easy to find, it's on the main junction in South Tottenham, where Seven Sisters Road joins the High Road, opposite the boarded-up Wards Corner store.  Big 70s redbrick building. It's about 20 yards from the Seven Sisters tube exit, which is one stop from Finsbury Park on the Victoria line. 259 and 279 buses from Manor House.

If driving from Harringay I would recommend that you park in Wickes' (on your right before the railway bridge, 2-3 minutes walk away) as from the end of 7Sis Rd you can only turn left into the one-way and its (a) a mile and a quarter around and (b) is carrying the diverted traffic from the High Rd. No left turn into West Green Road.  And you can't pop into the Retail Park on the way round either.  It's all Red Route so nowhere to stop on 7 Sis Rd except a very few places by the row of shops on the left, which are usually full.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service