Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The volunteer group met last night and we've got 2 big action points to achieve for the party.It would be fantastic if any HOL ers are able to help with these. 

If you would like to contact the volunteer group- please email wightmanstreetparty@gmail.com Those who have already said they'd like to be involved, we'll try and send you an update email shortly.

1) GOAL Get the Permit for Street Closure in to the council on Monday next week. 

Ant has kindly said he would do this but as part of the application we also need to go and collect signatures from residents of Wightman Rd along the section we propose to hold the party. 

ACTION 2pm Sunday 8th May (this weekend) - group to meet at the BLUE SEAT in Fairland park to go and door knock for signatures. 

2) GOAL : Push forward to secure the last half of Funding. We have only 14 days to achieve this.

Several of the volunteer group are approaching other local sources (Emine etc) for funding but it hasn't been forthcoming so far so it seems the crowdfunding approach is most likely if we can keep it going. 

Basically we are 150 people x £10 pledges away from the finish line to get this party going.

ACTION: 

If you are able to- Pledge! http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/wightman-street-party

Spread the word to your friends -& invite them to come to the party! crowdfunding works by spreading the word, so please also share the crowdfunder link on social media (ignore if it's not your thing, but i shared the link on facebook)

In case you missed it- here's the background story...........

What is it anyway? 

A few Harringay-ites thought it would be a great (and possibly our only) opportunity to hold a community street party on Wightman Road this summer. There are loads of possibilities in terms of ideas but essentially we want it to be free and fun. Some ideas so far have included cheese rolling, live music, picnic spaces, face painting, scooter racing etc. It's a chance to enjoy the space and get to know your neighbours. 

When is it?

Proposed date is 9th July, approx 1-4pm

What can I do to help?

Help on the day- set up, activities etc 

Put up posters, door knock your street. It would be great if we had 1 person at least per street who could do this. 

Email suggestions or offers for entertainment on the day to wightmanstreetparty@gmail.com

Pledge funds http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/wightman-street-party

Views: 943

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've shared this on a local Facebook parents page, I've heard on there that perhaps it would be useful to post about the party on the crouch end forum too. For crowd funding purposes I wonder if the council or mayor might have a fund that can be approached to help out? Or perhaps bigger local businesses like Homebase or Jewson?

Thanks BB! I was just a little unsure how crouch end folk might react as so many on the forum there were posting about the traffic impact on them from Wightman closure. It's a good idea though, so I'll check it out.

Others in the group are still trying to access larger chunks of funding, most ideally from the council if possible. It's a bit of a catch 22 at the moment. We need secured funding to go forward with any more of the plans. We have approached some local businesses but the feedback is that things are tight and there won't be donations possible. I'll double check if that included big chains or not. 

Have you tried the tesco fund?
https://www.tescoplc.com/tesco-and-society/the-essentials/supportin...

Santander also do local grants
How about this for a fundraising idea... There's lots of things being given away free on this site, how about starting a thread where people can post things in return for a donation towards the street party via the fundraising page that's already been set up? Most people will have at least one item they can give, whether it's a book or a teapot or a wardrobe, or pledge a service such as an hour babysitting or gardening. I think this would add to the community aspect of the aim of the party. People could even meet up and swap smaller items on the day.

For those of you who have children at primary school (or even secondary school), maybe you could approach the relevant Parent Staff Associations and ask if they would offer a small donation in return for a free stall of some kind, and they keep any profit they make on the day?

Another few donations have come through- thank you so much to everyone who has donated! Total is £1460 which is amazing. 

Update to our 1) GOAL - road closure permit. Our Sunday plan to gather Wightman signatures was postponed because on further investigation we may need to rethink the exact position of the party as the gas works will restrict where the council are likely to allow it. More news as soon as we have it on that. 

Ant has sent in a prospective enquiry/application- and we're waiting for their response before we go door knocking for the signatures. 

Wouldn't it perhaps be better to have the party after the gas works have been completed?
What happens to the crowd funder money if the party doesn't go ahead? Will it get returned to us? I'd put in another donation as long as that was the case....
I leave on Wightman Road and support the event. I'm happy to sign for the permit, but I'm away now until May 22.

Also, I see that you're looking for ppl to put posters up, please have a list of people to take them down. It's as important as putting them up. I find this is often missed.

Regards,
James Cowling

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service