Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Following recent developments at Antepliler, Selale and Gokyuzu, and five years after expanding into the laundry on the corner of Rutland Gardens, Turkish restaurant Diyarbakir last week submitted a planning application to extend their premises further by taking over the apparently soon-to-be former Poziomka grocery store premises.

Read the planning application here.

Tags for Forum Posts: diyarbakir, planning

Views: 2963

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kotkas, this is really a bit silly. There was nothing misleading or incorrect in what I wrote. The net flows are positive and the slowing in inflows comes from the EU15 nations.

In fact, this is a more accurate assessment than the chart illustrates as it  distinguishes between the different flows of the EU-15, the EU-8, and the EU-2.

The reduction in net EU migration is driven by citizens of Western Europe or those nations in the EU pre-2004. The EU-8 are the nations that represent the natural customers of a Polish food store (post-2004). Why didn't you provide that context?

Either way, there has been no net reduction in the population of European citizens in the UK. A 'decline in the increase' does not equate to a reduction. 

But all this is irrelevant to the original point that applying some sentimental narrative to the situation, with no knowledge of the facts is just a bit self-indulgent.

A small food retailer is moving or closing on a high street that has seen the regular replacement of retail stores by A3 shops for more than a decade.

If the details of the planning application are correct, the owners of the property wish to expand their restaurant. There are many ways they could encourage their tenant to leave so that they can complete the expansion.

The retailer's 2 other stores in London appear to be running as usual. In fact, they're hiring. 

You might see a zebra running down GL one day Kotkas, but I'm going to assume those are horses' hooves we can hear.

Note: It is quite ridiculous, but in the cloth-eared environment we're in I feel the need to qualify my views by stating that I have absolutely no issue with ongoing migration in the UK. So please, let's not make this discussion about that.

"Cloth-eared" - I like that, I've just had the same on another discussion thread.  :-)

There’s a really simple way to sort this out.  Go to the shop in question and ask why they are closing down.  End of lease?  Rent bumped up to unaffordable rates?  Lack of customers?  Owners leaving the U.K.?  Speculation is, well, speculation.

Hehe. True. Might poke my nose but conscious that such a question might alarm staff that aren’t privy to the supposed closure of the business.

Well, as it’s all over social media.......

From what I've been able to gather, it wasn't common knowledge amongst the traders until the planning application was published. 

I don't disagree that the Polish shop could be closing for any reason of their choosing. Your supposed adherence to the facts is once again full of flaws. Here are the relevant facts:

Net EU migration is falling, as previously mentioned. 

It's falling most for the EU-8 countries. Here's a picture. 

And it's fallen most since mid 2016.

Also an explainer on statistics. Net migration = difference between number of individuals coming and going. Declining net migration means an increase in the number of individuals leaving, and a stable or decreasing number of those coming in. 

In the context of historically positive or stable net inflows the trend is clear, and widely reported in the press. I don't understand why you are so stubbornly insistent on this not being the case.

I asked in Poziomka today when they would be closing down and the woman answered '9 pm' - I said no, I had heard they were closing permanently and she said that wasn't the case. What is going on?

Were you talking to the owner or an employee?

An employee, and perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it - but they will likely hear about it anyway.

I'm going to hazard a guess that if Diyabakir has gone to the trouble of drawing up plans and submitting a planning application, there must be at least a binding agreement in principle to sell if the application is approved. Otherwise Diyabakir is simply paying to increase the value of an asset they don't own.

I'm not surprised that Poziomka deny any intent to sell. It's not good for business. 

There'll be lots ads of distressed assets gor him to accumulate after 29/03/19. Looks like we are heading for a great depression kind of bump while the so called leaders of this place argue or in some cases are actively pursuing this agenda!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service