Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

It's bye bye bridge banners as Harringay wins £1.8 million for Green Lanes in new fund bid

Hard on the heels of the successful bid for Round 1 of the Outer London Fund, it has just been announced that Harringay has won £1.77million from the Round 2 bid submitted last year.

The bid was submitted by the Green Lanes Strategy Group with the drive and vision coming in particular from Rob Chau of the Harringay Traders' Association.

The Harringay project was also singled out for particular mention this morning by Boris Johnson when he announced the bid.

The £1.77m will be augmented to almost £2.1m with matched funding coming from local traders. The project focuses on three key elements, most of which echo many sentiments expressed here on HoL

1. Create a new gateway for Harringay - a total revamp of the bridge. Gone will be the banners and the tat and in it's place a stylish entrance to our hood. LED panels and a showcase for local artists will be part of the approach.

2. Improve the public realm at street level - this will focus on a 'mini town square' approach - improving all the junctions that lead on to Green Lanes with better trees, building up the side road headers to pavement level and adding benches. Power points will also be added to allow the development of a street market culture.

3. Improving shop fronts -  a limited number of shop fronts will be replaced with quality wooden ones, echoing a more traditional feel. Initial funding will limit the number to 35, but it is hoped that these will pioneer improvements elsewhere. Individual traders will add 20% of the cost themselves 

More details on the bid soon. In the meantime some pictures for you to conjour up your imaginations:

Rob summarised his exhilaration with a measured statement of purpose, "The festival has shown just how vibrant our high street can be. We want to help guarantee our competitiveness against other high streets. We just haven't had the funds to do it till now. This is the biggest amount of funding we've seen for thirty years"

Once the dust has settled, a series of consultation events will be held to provide local people with an opportunity for direct input into exactly how the funds will be spent.

You can catch a little on the Mayor's announcement on the BBC news this evening. They're supposed to be coming to Harringay for a few shots and quick interviews.

More soon, I'm sure. In the meantime, well done to Rob and the bid team! Great news for the hood.

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay banner, harringay bridge, harringay regeneration 2012-13, outer london fund

Views: 7894

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

still no word on timetable for this very modest plan, which leads me to believe that it will never happen.

I agree with Alan about displacement. And much as we all love Grand Parade we should not forget it is a main north/south through route that people who are not our immediate neighbours use to access the City. Slowing down the traffic substantially would cause ever longer delays for those using it to get to work or to get home from work, whether by car or on buses.

Too right, people who are not our immediate neighbours dont use public transport and need access to the city, better to spend the money on  a flyover through green lanes

Just nipped in to say well done Rob and associates, great to have a bit of a tarting up in Harringay. Well done folks.

I'm now able to share the full bid that went to the GLA. This gives more detail than I've given so far together with a detailed timetable.

View / Download at - hgyol.in/zYxdDH

What's gratifying also is how closely you can see the vision we developed in the Harringay Charter (launched last summer, attached below), reflected in the bid. And, the charter included significant input from the views expressed here on HoL. (I knew the charter would have some use!)

So, folks your views have helped to shape the future of your neighbourhood. Nice to know innit.

Attachments:

Congratulations - good document!The funding is much deserved for everyone involved.

Watch that 50p.

Great news

I dont know why its taking so long.

Its just raising the road at the jumctions, planting a few trees and adding some benches.

Although the uplights look good on paper, they were included in the wood green scheme, unfortunately the light bulbs were never replaced. I expect the same here.

a major key to improving the area is to revamp the main junction at turnpike lane/green lanes. thats a no brainer.

and include ducketts common.

Great news! :-)

So happy and excited about the new plans! Although I would certainly like to see some improvement on the north side shop fronts of the ladder too. It has got so much potential. Duckett Common and Turnpike lane tube area...

Attachments:

I'm a bit confused as to why this money is being spent on what seem to be rather pointless 'tarting up' changes to the high street. In the 11 years I've been here many kebab restaurants have changed their name, management, location, signage etc several times. Not much else has changed with the types of shop except for a few more Polish shops and a few less Greek ones - and the retail park. Lots of these businesses are doing their own tarting up. Madame Boudoir, ADA Centre and Hot Nuts all moved from further along the road to nearer the ladder, adding more shiny LED's and tackiness in the process. There is even a nouveau riche furniture store recently opened near Ducketts Common.

If we wanted more shiny and tacky there is certainly no need for government money for that.

Why not spend that money on an academy, a youth centre, improving the awful retail park or an arts centre? Something that will directly affect the culture of the area and benefit young people, and as a consequence everyone else.

I wonder if this is in anticipation of changes in demographic the ongoing Woodberry Down development might bring?

I certainly don't wish to sound negative about improving the area, I welcome it. It does seem a bit naive and misguided to pretend that Green Lanes will look like Upper Street though. Benches? Why is that a good idea? If a nice cafe opens they will put out their own chairs (as many have been doing). Benches on street corners would tend to attract drunks no? I will admit that the Finsbury Park bridge LED's do distract a bit from all the bird *** ! 

Councils are notoriously naive and disorganized with wasting money on relatively simple developments. Artists are known for making not a lot of money and some creativity and passion go a really long way. I bet Harringay Arts could have made a much better use of this money.

The culture of this high street still seems to be firmly rooted in drug dealer chic and in your face money laundering, flashy Range Rovers etc. It seems silly to ignore that. Kingsland Road has changed so much mainly because of an existing diversity of cultures and an artist / musician culture. I guess what I'm saying is, spend the money on something that actually matters and the rest will follow of its own accord.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service