Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The 'Let' signs are up at Disney. The hundred year party is really over. An authoritative source tells me that the new tenants will be Superdrug lookalike Savers.

As to Disney's past, Adam Coffman and I made a short film with the two Disney brothers and we'll be sharing that as soon as it makes it out of editing!

Tags for Forum Posts: disneys

Views: 3514

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes I have all existing pics of Disneys.
Matthew - Have you been to Chiltern Street in Marylebone? The shopfronts there have been restored beautifully.

The other real treasure in this building is the beautiful grand staircase, leading up from the ground floor to the first floor showroom, in true emporium style. Doubtless, there is little chance that this will be preserved - but it should be. It is one of the few remaining shop interiors where this feature remains intact and in place. It is a particularly attractive and unique local architectural feature with historic value that makes the building even more special.

Absolutely, I bet kids used to play on the stairs and hide by the furniture on the top floor, while their parents selected furniture. Just the sort of thing I used to do at that age.

The first floor is being developed as a flat and the staircase will be stripped out. I imagine that the freeholder will recognise that it has a value and will sell it. 

I've made sure that all of that is preserved as much as it can be and did this a couple of months before they closed.

I've also shot the closed off areas, but didn't want to make those public till the shop was closed. The Google version will no doubt be taken down before too many months, but I'll make a new tour off Google and set it up on AWS. (I'd meant to do the same for Cafe Lemon, but time and events overtook me).

(A word of warning - when navigating the tour, Google's technology is sometimes a bit fussy and you'll probably get stuck a the bottom of the stairs. If that happens just use the navigation arrows. This will be solved once I get it off Google. I'll also be embedding clips of the film I made with Adam.)

I've also written to Savers and to Claire Kober, the leader of Haringey Council, and to Ian Sygrave/the LCSP asking for their help in protecting the shop-front. 

A rapid reply from Savers this morning as follows:

On 28 Jun 2016, at 09:43, Savers Customer Relations <Saverscustomerrelations@uk.aswatson.com> wrote:

Dear Hugh,

Thank you for your email regarding our Harringay site.

I would like to confirm that our Property & Development team are currently in the process of developing plans on how the unit will look, however they have advised that they are sympathetic to the existing frontage of the building and plan to follow the specific guidance set for the area. Unfortunately plans are not available at this point in time, however these will be submitted for planning consent in due course.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for concern in this matter.

Kind Regards,

Corina Grajdeanu

Savers Customer Relations – saverscustomerrelations@uk.aswatson.com 

Address – Unit 1, Prologis Park, Arenson Way, Dunstable LU5 4RZ 

Stops short of What I'd like to have seen, but the fast response is promising. I'm slightly concerned by "plan to follow the specific guidance set for the area" which could mean they'd just pass the buck for any changes to the Council.

We all will make up a big part of their customer base. So as a first call, any of you concerned about the possible loss of the shop front could do worse than drop Corina a short note.

I have written to the planning department, seeking clarification on what, if any, protections 'the specific guidance set for the area' might offer. My email was copied to our representatives at all levels inviting them to become involved if they feel so moved.

Props to Council Leader and Seven Sisters Ward councillor Claire Kober who just emailed me to say that she'll be writing to Savers urging them to retain the shop front.

You may well be right. So Edwardian style then. Good for them for going to the trouble. 

I've now checked with Clive Disney and he confirms that indeed the whole shop front was restored/replaced in 1992. So whilst the style is original, the materials are not.

With a few independent pharmacies on the high street including the recently renovated Stearns, it is definitely a shame that this is going to be a 'Savers'. 

Both sides of it? They were trying to let it as 2 separate properties at one stage.

And has anyone else noticed how many empty shops there is currently? 2 betting shops down, 4 to go.

If you've ever wanted to start a business now is a great time to secure a spot on the high street. It used to take years to find a vacancy on the Lanes.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service