Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!


Photo legend says: "GNR Harringay Station. Photo taken before lines were widened. 0-4-4T No.515. Built 1874. Works No.147. Driving wheels 5_7_. Down suburban train from Kings Cross or Moorgate to New Barnet.


Views: 345

Albums: Historical Images of Harringay from 1885 - 1918 | 2 of 2

Comment by John D on August 18, 2013 at 18:19

Does this mean that the line didn't use Standard ( 4' 81/2 ") gauge ?

Comment by Gerry Newton on January 17, 2015 at 16:55

When the line opened in August 1850 there were just a pair of tracks, one up to London and one down to the north. In the early 1870's, two additional tracks were laid on the outside of the original up and down tracks to ease congestion. The photograph shows the train on the new down slow line. The line to the right of the train is the original down line which became the down fast.

In 1900 the down platform shown was turned into an island platform when the down goods line behind the fence became the down slow No2. All lines/tracks on the Great Northern Railway were laid to standard gauge.

Comment by Andrew Buchan on April 17, 2018 at 21:52

Does anyone know if the old Wood Green station is now Alexandra Palace Station?

Andrew

Comment by Andrew Buchan on April 17, 2018 at 21:53

that is a fantastic photograph of a steam train

Comment by Hugh on April 17, 2018 at 23:31

Yes, Andrew, what is now Alexandra Park Station opened in 1859 as Wood Green. It was renamed to Wood Green (Alexandra Park) in 1864. The station reverted to its original name of Wood Green in 1971, but was again renamed to Alexandra Palace in1982. (Courtesy of Wikipedia)

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Harringay online to add comments!

Join Harringay online

Advertising

© 2020   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service