Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just to let people know that the noticeboards at either end of the Haringey Passage are now showing a series of five history factsheets on the history of the passage. These have been produced through the Make the Difference Grant.The first installment, titled Before the Ladder, is now up so go and have a look! As Secretary of A Healthy Passage for Harringay, a group set up five years ago to lobby for improvements to the passage, I am the keyholder for the noticeboards which we also gained funding to have put in. If anyone has items of an apolitical nature and of community wide interest which they would like to post in the noticeboards you can contact the above group on 02083408901 to discuss. We are continually looking for new ideas on how to make improvements to the passage. We held an openday at several sections three years ago with some success and may well repeat that this year.Comments welcome

Views: 204

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good to hear Paul. I'll look out for them. :)
This is a great idea. But how has Haringey Passage from the old documents now become Harringay Passage?
As far as I'm aware it started life as Harringay Passage. Early in the 20th Century Hornsey Metropolitan District Council tried to rename the area Haringey. But the local Ratepayers Association fought that off. Our present council is also engaged is its own renaming exercise at the moment. (See Harringay's not Harringay after all. It's Official).

That history, combined I imagine with human error, has led to a history of mixed name signs and some confusion. I think both spellings still appear at different points in the passage. But to most locals it's always been Harringay Passage, the passage or simply the alley.

If you want to know more about the general history of the spellings see this Wikipedia article.

This is the one on Umfreville - the other is on Turnpike Lane.

I didn't see a link or flyer for 'Harringay's leading online community' on the board? ;-)
Do you think they're read very much? But you're right I should get a notice in there.
I would have thought it would be a great source of information for anybody new to the area interested in finding out more - especially as there isn't a library noticeboard actually on our patch.
Yes, good idea Alistair. Hugh, your neighbour Paul has a key for the boards.
Thanks. He offered me the key many months ago. I haven't gotten round to it. I will.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service