Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I absolutely love the pictures that are posted on here showing the old cinemas, the Arena, the Stadium and other venues slightly further afield but I can't help feeling more than a little sad that so many of the places where the young and not so young might go to have a night out are gone.
What are they replaced with? A nasty supermarket, fast food joints, chain stores and a gym, or ugly flats or numerous betting shops (oh so family friendly) and so on. Okay, so there were probably disadvantages to living near a stadium with speedway (I remember as I lived near one in Ipswich, home of the Witches) but it was also a night out and lots of fun for kids.
The past was not paradise, I know, but it seems that in many ways we have lost so much round here. Neglect? Times change? Our own fault for not caring when it mattered? Don't know, but little by little it seems to me, some wonderful things have been lost from this area and are gone for good. Doesn't that make you just a little sad too?

Tags for Forum Posts: harringayhistory, pastglories.

Views: 92

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, absolutely. So all that's left is for me to wallow in nostalgia and try and save the other stuff we haven't yet lost.
Well thank the heavens that people like you and Stephen H care enough to document this stuff and share it with us as we sure as hell don't have much by way of official support for reminding people of the history and culture of this area. The problem with dwelling too much on the negative as 'official' sites/publications do means that people see the area as problematic, thus residents do not have pride in their surroundings which might encourage them to care about saving what is left e.g old shop fronts. We have for so long been used to officialdom coming up with ideas and then asking us in very roundabout ways what we think (and if we don't answer, this is taken as assent) that people now feel powerless. It is important that people see history as an integral part of any area's regeneration and where possible seek to preserve or maybe with enough vision, restore what has been lost.
Of course Dog nights and Stock Car racing nights were loud, but also meant there were plenty of people about in the evenings, which wasn't always the case back then.

There used to be a jingle that was always played as the dogs were paraded out before a race and it used echo all around the Gardens... I can't remember what it was called.

March of the Mods was always played at the beginning of every stock car race, as the cars did a lap of honour. This always ended in a roar of engines as the race proper began. This too could be heard right down to St Ann's Rd. I couldn't find a single clip of the March of the Mods, but it is on this clip as from Minute 2:44.. if you listen to it.. you'll get the picture..
Just a thought...Is it possible that the reason that the history of such places as the Arena was/is so little valued is because they hosted 'popular' entertainment. If the people of Harringay had all been sitting around in bijou cafes pontificating on the meaning of life, there would be blue plaques everywhere and preservation orders slapped on everything!
I remember that tune SH! I think it must have been a standard at stadiums round the country. i also remember standing in the freezing cold, watching chaps tear arseing round a track and falling off. We would be clutching greasy food and being particularly excited because it was a school night and we were out! Not in Harringay but I can't imagine the experience was that different from what happened here.
Oh well I suppose we can always go and watch people fighting for parking spaces. Arena, well named really, 'those about to try and park, we salute you!'
Hi Liz! I thought somebody might remember that tune.. :o)

I also remember the strong smell of onions and foul tasting Frankfurters in soggy rolls.. that could always be smelt around the Stadium on Stock Car saturday nights...
I agree, it is sad to think that Harrinagay used to be a place of fun and now the only thing that brings locals together is discussing the dog poo outside their houses. Thats one reason I created the Fans of the Salisbury Hotel because there are fun and sociable events happening in there, but you wouldnt know it cos they dont seem to promote their events online or anywhere else, they hardly use the chalk board outside either these days.
video killed the radio star too.
Everyone's online. :)
Well yes, new technologies probably played a part in this process but if there was a cinema within walking distance showing afternoon kids movies or a circus going on in the arena (as opposed to the 'circus' that is an afternoon at sainsbury's on a Saturday) I wouldn't be in twiddling on a computer keyboard!
In my day as a kid in Harringay..
"THE" places to go in the summer were Tottenham Rec generally known as "the Rec" with its Model Traffic Area as well as Clissold Park with its animal enclosure..
These places were top of list during the first week of the summer holidays.
Now that explains all the bus stuff then. You were inculcated as a kid, brainwashed by the model traffic area.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service