Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This is my email today concerning the notice to fell one of only 2 cherry trees in Hewitt Road. It doesnt seem to have any fungi stated on the notice roped around the tree..so .. and if they had to there's been no consultation and no statement that a cherry tree would be put in its place..to contrast with the misplaced silver birches that are unmanaged by the council. Here's my email to the dept... i hope it's the right end of the Council. If anyone thinks this needs to go elsewhere please contact me.
Please send an email to the above address too if you agree and think it important to keep the Ladder beautiful.
Thanks
Barbara

Subject: Cherry Tree Hewitt Road
Date: July 24, 2008 11:43:25 BST
To: development.control@haringey.gov.uk

development.control@haringey.gov.uk

The Manager
Development Control
Environment and Planning Departments
Haringey Council

4th July 2008

Dear Haringey

Re: Cherry Tree disposal order outside 66 Hewitt Road N8

I am concerned that an order has been placed on the tree opposite our property.

It is a lovely cherry tree..one of only two on the road and possibly the whole of the Ladder.

The notice says it has a fungi at the bottom which therefore merits it's demise. We have looked carefully at the tree and there is no sign of this.

Please count this as an objection to the disposal of the tree. It is so beautiful when it blossoms annually and we don't want another nondescript tree placed there.

Paul Simon's planting of silver birches several years ago has not been managed properly since they were planted. They need protective roping around the lower trunk so that when cars back into them (!!!!) they are protected and need trimming from time to time.

The notice says a new tree will be put in its place. Is this a replacement cherry tree please? There has been no consultation at all in this part of the street and this is very disappointing. I am a member of the Haringey Online Community website and i am now about to post this letter for all to see so that other people are in the know.

What protection exists for the other cherry tree which is outside 72 -72 Hewitt Road?

These are part of the historical heritage of Hewitt Road and the Ladder.

Yours Sincerely

Barbara

Tags for Forum Posts: greening harringay, tree planting, trees

Views: 266

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Barbara, I wonder if it would be worth your mailing "The Manager", asking for three things:

1. A copy of the report recommending its removal.
2. A copy of Haringey's policy on tree removal / maintainence.
3. How you can appeal the decision.

Also have you mailed our councillors? They should be made aware and their support sought.
Hugh, this was posted twice. I replied on one post

So the tree is opposite you... what happened to a tree "opposite" us is that the person living opposite us asked the council to cut it down. The note on the tree said that it was rotten and in danger of falling down. It was not at all rotten, of course.

And you replied on this one. I was sort of trying to make the point that one person's lovely cheery tree is another person's unwanted shade.
Several trees in Seymour have the same notices, they can't all have the same disease can they?
I noticed that on Seymour too, on the really beautiful one outside no 78 it says it's damaging nearby properties. Shame, because when it's gone I will have a clear view of the baby-poo, whoops, browny-peach coloured house opposite. :(
Hi Barbara
I've also sent in an objection....asking for a replacement cherry tree if it goes. It's the most beautiful tree in the street and I'd be very sad to see it disappear!
Michelle
Folks, I have sent a mail on behalf of HoL to our local councillors. I will let you know of the outcome.
I should make it clear that the mail explained that several members on the site have expressed disquiet. So when I wrote above "on behalf of HoL", I guess that should have said "on behalf of the HoL members who'd expressed concern".

Here's the short mail in its entirety:

Dear Councillors,

Several members of Harringayonline have expressed great concern at the planned removal of apparently health trees – so far we are aware of trees in Hewitt and Seymour that are affected. These trees are a great amenity to the area and it is a real shame to let them go for apparently no good reason. Are you able to let me know why they are being removed and potentially help us challenge their removal?

BR

Hugh
Just had a look at the cherry tree outside 66 Hewitt Road and it does appear to have a patch of white/cream stuff at the base on the side away from the road...so there may be fungus! Hopefully if it has to be removed, they will replace like for like.
I just wanted to add a different perspective to this discussion.

The cherry tree outside our house was removed a couple of months ago, as it was causing subsidence to our house, and our neighbours' houses. Apparently, a combination of the clay soil and the very thirsty cherry tree caused the ground to become very dry and properties to slip. After a couple of letters from our respective insurers to the council, the tree was removed.

It was a beautiful tree, and in many ways it was a shame to see it go. However, the appearance of big ugly cracks around the front of our house made me feel a good deal less sentimental about it.

I have no idea if there really are good reasons for the removal of all of the cherry trees from the Ladder. All I can say is that the inspector that the insurance company sent around to look at the damage to our house felt that in retrospect, it was inappropriate to plant cherry trees on clay soil so close to properties.
Here's my reply from Clare Carter in my response to what will replace the trees to be removed:

Hugh,

There are 52 new trees being planted in the ladder roads this forthcoming planting season. The allocation is as follows:

Sydney Road 3
Frobisher Road 4
Fairfax Road 8
Beresford Road 3
Allison Road 8
Hewitt Road 1
Seymour Road 2
Warham Road 1
Pemberton Road 6
Mattison Road 6
Cavendish Road 8
Umfreville Road 1
Lothair Road North 1

We have planted 205 new trees in the ladder roads over the last few years. This has increased the overall tree population. There are still some roads which require further planting and this is being addressed over the next planting seasons. To achieve an even balance of trees ideally you would have approx 20 trees in each road, however some roads currently have more than this allocation specifically Burgoyne Road which was historically planted as a lime avenue. There are of course some exceptions where the roads are much shorter and do not require this allocation.

The species we are currently planting are Amelanchier, Rowan, flowering Cherry, Hawthorn, Cockspur thorn.

These are species that are suitable for street tree planting and have been successfully planted across the borough. They establish well in the poor rooting environment found beneath the public highway and they also tolerate urban stress and pollution.

The new trees will be small to medium in size when mature, have a low water demand, keep an upright form and have small leaves, which will minimise future nuisance issues. New trees will improve the local environment, providing benefits such as reduced air pollution and shade in the summer months. Street trees provide many social, environmental and economic benefits. Planting new trees helps towards implement government policies on sustainable development, urban renewal, biodiversity and health and well being.

Regards

Clare Carter
Arboricultural Officer
London Borough of Haringey

Tel: 020 8489 5774
Fax: 020 8489 5642
Email: clare.carter@haringey.gov.uk
There was an article about this issue in the Observer on Sunday, basically arguing against the removal of so many urban trees. Key stats it mentions are that 400,000 trees were cut down over the last 5 years, and that subsidence was cited in relation to 40% of these. However, according to a GLA report, only 1% of fellings are justified on these grounds, as subsidence is far more complex than this. The full report is here.

Have no idea about the validity of these arguments, though I do instictively dislike seeing so many cut down. But, as Philip says in a previous post, seeing big cracks appear in my walls might well affect my judgement on that.

By the way, some of the trees Clare says they are replanting with are GORGEOUS. I'll have the Amelanchier in Seymour Road please Clare ...
Hi Barbara, glad you had such a helpful reply.

Amelanchier are beautiful trees. I planted a tree in my garden earlier in the year and really wanted one of them, but played safe because I thought it would just be a little bit too big (went for a Rowan in the end).

Some pictures of Amelanchier

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service