Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

See this photo copied from Flickr (with the photographer's permission).

Tags for Forum Posts: old ale emporium

Views: 390

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

.......and who was Mortimer?
Dunno - probably no-one local - not an uncommon pub name.
There's a "White Lion of Mortimer" in Stroud Green Rd.
What about a petition to restore the good name of The Mortimer Arms ? I'm sure this was the name when I lived on Umfreville in mid-late'70s. Besides at least three viceroys or lieutenants-general of the Mortimer family were killed in Ireland around the 15th century, so I'd like to drink the odd pint to their memory. After five or six centuries we don't hold no grudges.
@eddie.... why not?
Here's what I found... choose whichever one you want :o)
Just another of my lead balloons, I guess. On the other hand didn't a Mrs Mortimer and her tiresome son in a wheelchair (no, I'm not PC) run that exciting hostelry The Crossroads Motel back in the '70s? Probably named after her biceps.
You know.. I bet your right Eddie.. That series came to an end in the middle of the 80s.. maybe 'The Mortimer' was meant to be a shrine:
An awful lot of these actors are now resident in that 'Motel in the sky'....
A bit of history...

Once upon a time there was a car showroom at that site - in the late 70's I looked at some cars there. In around 1985 it was converted to a Wetherspoon pub - the Mortimer Arms - hence the old sign. In the mid 90s Wetherspoon sold it to another pubco & it was re-opened as the Old Ale Emporium. They had a rack of around 10 casks with cooling jackets - but this did not last long and for some while the supply of ale was rather erratic. Ownership has changed since at least once, with no great improvement but things looked up when the current manager was installed a year or two ago and it can now be highly recommended (no - I have not been paid for this plug!)
I`m sure it was called The Mortimer Arms when I arrived to work in this Borough as recently as 1987
Shefik Mehmen, chair of the Green Lane Traders says that before being a car showroom it was a shop selling pine furniture - very 60's!
Shef would know. Seems like it's a fancy of mine to imagine that it's Victoriana then.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service