Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

In the outback beyond Sainsbury's, in Ashfield Road, is a small industrial estate, the Arena Estate, which I've been aware of for a while and have even driven past. But I'd never visited till last night. What an interesting little colony. The main reason I'd been aware of it was through http gallery and their esoteric exhibitions which sometimes go way over my head - like the recent one around knitting and the internet.

I was invited last night by Urban Initiatives to attend a session they were holding about next steps for the Seven Sisters NDC and the area around it. At the meeting I got chatting to a few of the folk based there. My first learning was that the whole warehouse district has become, over the past few years, a mixed work/live space. Inhabited by a fascinating mix of artists, most both live and work there. I was told that their number includes members of world-famous orchestras, set designers for west end theatres and artists working with all sorts of media. Both work and live spaces are created out of the old industrial buildings. One nice guy I met there offered me a look-see at his flat. Sadly time didn't permit last night, but I hope I can take him up on his offer and see what the flats are like. Mixed in with all that, some of the industrial units are still, rather imaginatively, used as industrial units. What an interesting set-up. And just opposite the entrance is one of London's leading Congolese stores (why, but of course). Had absolutely no idea what most of the stuff was - it all looked very strange to my eyes. I'm partial to fish, but the scores of different types of dried fish on display left my appetite strangely unwhetted. Perhaps if a kindly Congolese Mama were to cook some up for me I might take a different view - though I might also take a bit of convincing.

Still, all very interesting and a fascinating addition to Harringay's rich mix.

See this album for a few photos.

Tags for Forum Posts: Arena Industrial Estate, warehouse district

Views: 128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Had another look around yesterday - I get the distinct impression that what with the popularity of this area and the adjoining Crusader Industrial Estate with artists, along with the Bridge NDC and the forthcoming development of the Woodberry Down Area, we are going to see some quite rapid and potentially exciting & postive changes in this strip.

See some photos in this album.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service