Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

In another thread Ruth wrote:
"I've just been walking along Green Lanes looking at the bins (for the first time in my life) and dont you think the design of them is just not practical for our part of GL?. They may be ok for the Crouch Enders but we need specific Green Lane stylie bins. Preferably very large with a larger gap inwhich to put your hand to place the rubbish. Having never had a takeaway from Zams, I imagine that their boxes are probably quite large and you would have great difficulty stuffing a box in such a gap without letting your hands and most of your arm touch the sides, those bins are pretty disgusting."

I think this is a good point. I would also like to see split bins for recycling in key areas such as near fast food outlets.
Anyone else have thoughts on this? Be happy to collate ideas to send to neighbourhood management

Tags for Forum Posts: bins, litter, waste

Views: 63

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks for posting this Liz. Another issue would be the food that gets thrown in the bins too, which contaminate what could be recyclable. I assume the restuarants and shops have their own private bins? They don't use the pavement bins do they? Because some are more full quicker than others I noticed, and the full ones seem to be outside some of the restuarants. Also because of the issue of the small gap inwhich to place the rubbish, larger items are leaning up against the bins, some are full black bin liners. Surely they are supposed to be for just pedistrians throwing away wrappers etc? Not that there's anything wrong with the shops and restuarants using the bins, but if that is the case we definately do need much bigger bins and like you say split bins for recycling.
Larger bins may be the answer but do we want larger and more street furniture on Green Lanes, it’s quite cluttered as it is?

As much as I agree with split bins, people can’t cunger up the effort to put them in the bin never mind make a decision what bin to put them in, maybe I’m being too negative?

I would personally like to see more people prosecuted for dropping litter, if there’s no deterent people will carry on dropping their unwanted rubbish where ever they wish. You can line the road with one big bin and some people will not use it. If they were prosecuted, I think they would think twice about it next time around.

Maybe the fast food outlets could also bare some responsibility. Mcdonalds were forced to do this with their “Litter Patrol” and pick up Mac stuff beyond the front of their stores.

Maybe we could have a blitz one Saturday and collect all the fast food rubbish in bins and empty them in the stores, I did this once with Pizza leaflets, they weren’t happy so I legged it!
It may be that a hard core of people will always drop litter and a blitz on such behaviour has been requested more than once. I live in hopes that we will be next on the list of blitzes.

However, I think it is positive to investigate design solutions to a problem as well. Ruth is right, the bins do get full and manky and maybe more fastidious types may not wish to touch the bins. Split bins can be very small as the ones I saw on Spanish beaches were and we simply do not know until we try what we can persuade people to do. we can't simply assume they won't be used. I've also seen bins with built in ashtrays in the top which seem to encourage smokers to dispose of their ends more responsibly. Over 50% of litter is, in fact, cigarette related btw

I certainly think some dialogue must be entered into with traders about waste management and their part in it. Ruth, I may be wrong but I don't think that restaurants are allowed to use municipal bins for dumping their businesswaste any more than you are allowed to put household waste there. They have to use special bags and pay to have it removed. Some small businesses are simply hiding their waste by putting it out in black bags and dumping it by bins, but if
times are hard and they are looking to cut costs they will do it if they are not caught.

You are not the first to suggest a community tidy up B2, a couple of other people have suggested similar things. The big tidy up from encams is in September. While I don't think they would endorse a guerilla litter pick tactical manoeuvre, perhaps we could pile it all somewhere very visible, take photos of it and invite the traders to come and look at it. Maybe we could do a score card for them. Chicken boxes 300, Baldwins bags, 0. Sunday morning might be a good time for people to see the effects of a weekend of fast food consumption etc.
Birdy, here is something we can agree on, I agree with every word in fact. As for the blitz, count me in! Excellent idea.
The Victoriana MV40 is the finest litter bin in existence - don't maul it with the ash tray variation!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service