Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Good Grief - Tottenham Constituency near top of National Child Poverty League

New figures realeased by The Campaign to End Child Poverty today show 174 constituencies in Britain have 50 per cent or more children living in or on the brink of poverty. The breakdown shows Tottenham is at joint 4th highest with Hackney, based on worklessness and joint 7th based on low income.

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Big End Child Poverty Event in Trafalgar Square this Saturday.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/money/article1744857.ece

Sharing the wealth of this country and jobs more equitably might help.
That story might have even a small shred of credibility if it wasn't in a newspaper that's part of the News International stable. The day we align our morality with the Sun is the day we are all in trouble. Sorry Matt but that's just a classic tabloid non-story (I'm sure anyone on HOL who travels for their work has stayed in hotels with expensive suites and premier champagne on the wine list, but it doesn't mean that we stayed in those suites or drank that champers too. If only. . . )
Hi Bushy

I'm not aligning my morality with the Sun. Someone at work leaves it lying around.

I use it as example of what many people do read though and probably they blame their poverty on those 'fat cats'. Point is, are they right or are they wrong? Reporting on poverty figures is one thing but acting on the reasons for it is far more important.
This post is about child poverty - let's try and keep on track folks.
Sorry Hugh. My point (poorly made) was that it is absurd to make a link between what is happening in the banking world right now (which affects not just bankers but all their more poorly paid support staff, PAs, cleaners etc.) and child poverty. Blaming the easy target of 'fat cats' for child poverty is not only wrong but blinds people to looking at the real causes and attempting to solve the problems, which are many, complex and beyond any simplistic fat-cat-punishing resolution.
OK, thanks B - point taken.
Arh, but that's what people reading the Sun & other tabloids are reading/seeing. You obviously don't like it Bushy but that's a fact of life. If you don't think fairer income distribution is a big part of the equation/problem causing child poverty then you're living in cloud cuckoo land.

And the other big problem, as Alan says is housing, also linked to income.
Again it is obvious from that map that the Geography of London is responsible. If your parents "choose" to live in Tottenham then you have a 50% chance of being an impoverished child. Parents should move to boroughs which give their child a better chance of not being impoverished. After all, we don't want to enter our children into a lottery do we?
Are you really that naive John? God, I hope not, for your sake.
My 4 children were educated in Tottenham and were far from deprived impoverished children. In fact they thrived on the diversity of the community, very different from their former New Zealand environment
Tha's true Margaret, living in Tottenham does not automatically equal deprived or impoverished. I'm not sure that the post is saying that. It is merely drawing attention to the fact that a high proportion of households are living on less that 10 pound each a day and suffer hardship as a result. Even that in itself need not hold children back BUT it does make it a lot harder. I worked with kids from Somers Town and Kentish Town for many years and the schools do a great deal to support kids (and families) should they want it who have less and need more, but it doesn't reach everyone and plenty drop through the net. Its important sometimes for us to remember that, I think and do what we can to battle poor housing, and other inequalities in any small way we can.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service