Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The London Borough Haringey was created as part of the London Government Act of 1963, which officially recognised the conurbation known as Greater London, dividing it into 32 Boroughs, twelve inner and twenty outer boroughs, of which Haringey was numbered no. 31.

Tottenham was the largest and most influential of the constituent three Boroughs. Official Guides were given out as mementos of the Borough.Tottenham Corporation had issued a monthly newsletter since 1948. The last issue dated March 1965 carried reports on the health of the Borough in 1963. With a population of 111,000, there were 2,248 births and 215 deaths from Cancer. It also reported on new rights of tenants against illegal eviction.  Of interest to me, the Recital Concert at the Lord Morrison Hall on 30th March, by Marie Jessop - my violin teacher at Woodlands Park School.

Tags for Forum Posts: 1965, Evictions, Health, LB Haringey, Tottenham, Tottenham Calling

Views: 437

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fascinating stuff Stephen, especially how the health officer felt it was their job to be a moral guardian in the paragraph on births to unmarried mothers.

In this issue I noticed Tottenham Council made a great deal about the importance food hygiene. I found it amusing to read the bit about "In another instance of food poisoning occurred at the Tottenham Council's annual staff dinner at Edmonton. Ironically Food Inspectors, who protect you from being poisoned by contaminated food, were the chief sufferers". I take it relations between Edmonton and Tottenham were never the same after that.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service