Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A reporter from one of the local papers was out and about in Wood Green this week asking young people if they thought it might be a good idea if the street lighting was switched off between midnight and 05.00. A short article was then published in the paper.

I suppose this is linked to switching off the lights at St Paul's Cathedral recently.

It's a really dangerous idea to switch off street lights at night. I hope it was a case of the reporter having nothing better to do, and that there are no serious plans. It would be far better to invent some kind of solar panel that can be added to the street lights, so that they are charged during daylight (like the small garden lights).

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really, really, doubt that they will switch off street lighting in inner city London. There are enough of us living close together to justify the streetlights we have. This is councils in rural England switching off lights when there is literally nobody around. Don't panic!
I agree with John. My understanding of this story in the nationals was that it was being trialed in suburban areas and that it was unlikely to ever happen in inner London so maybe it was a slow news day for the reporter. There are lots of energy saving things that cities should be doing like keeping doors closed when heating shops, putting doors on fridges in supermarkets and not lighting up empty office buildings but I would be surprised if this bit of 'green' thinking came here.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service