Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Walking back from the Finsbury Park Astoria with some other folks from HoL this afternoon we came across a film crew on Wightman Road just by Harringay station.

Who / what are you I asked.

They explained that they were making a film for the French TV channel Arte called Rivière de Londres.

They'd apparently just been filming over the other side of the railway bridge. The scence in Wightman Road seemd to involve the guy below crossing the road (Gripping stuff!)

Any one spot any clues as to their nationality?

Tags for Forum Posts: Wightman Road, film, film location, london river

Views: 215

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Think you meant Harringay station, Hugh. That's me, suitably disguised, in the wheelchair. It's a new Bond film - all about me and my secret mission to cross Wightman road to avoid walking past Jewsons. Sponsored by Brian Haley Associates.
Oops, corrected. Thanks.
I wonder if they stayed at the Shelton afterwards!!!!!! That's suffering for your art!
:)
A very belated apology by proxy for the pig-ignorant remark by E Finnegan above re the person in the wheelchair in Hugh's second photo.

The 'character' in the wheelchair about to cross to the Shelton is of course the great Gambian/Malian/French actor Sotigui Kouyaté about to go into character (as the Malian Ousmane searching for his son Ali after 7/11) for one of the Shelton-shot scenes of 'London River' for which he won the Berlin award for best actor. Kouyaté was already suffering from the pulmonary problem from which he died in April this year. The wheelchair was probably to help him across the bridge.

I haven't seen the film yet but my sister and her French/Irish daughter saw it last week. Apparently they both got to know Kouyaté back in the early 1990s when my niece was at Rennes Uni and doing some vaguely theatrical volunteering around Peter Brooke's Paris theatre - for which Kouyaté was a main man for two decades. If you remember Bertolucci's 'The Sheltering Sky' (Paul Bowles novel) you may recognise him as the innkeeper on the John Malkovich/Debra Winger Saharan trek. Three decades earlier he was making his name in Senegalese theatre - following his even earlier hereditary role as 'griot', storyteller in the centuries-old kouyaté tradition.

In addition to which, the broken down wheelchair passenger crossing Wightman in June'08 was a footballer in the 1950s/'60s, playing on the Burkina Faso national team - not merely a Gambian/Malian Mandinkan domiciled in France but a Burkinabe by choice & adoption in the years when De Gaulle was acting the haughty paterfamilias of all francophone Africa. (Only 'French' Guinea dared to tell De Gaulle 'NON!' and suffered the consequences.)

The several 'Santigi Kuyatehs' in my classes in Sierra Leone near the Guinea border in the 60s/'70s were namesakes from the same Mandinka/Mandingo stock.

A small world, then. And to the philistine finnegan above: We live and sometimes we learn.
They were there for a few days, actually. Hopefully they did not stay at the Shelton..
ARTE is a French / German cable channel, mainly focused on art and culture if anyone's interested...

Learn what became of this film here.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service