Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Here's an intriguing idea highlighted by social media blogger Chris Brogan:

Imagine a real world game (played in the open world, not your computer) where the prime goal is to do good things for others. Now, imagine that the game doesn’t stop when you perform your good deed, because in handing over the card that started the mission to the person you’ve helped, you encourage them to “play it forward” to do something good for someone else. That’s the game in a nutshell, at this stage.

Essentially: do good things for other people, share, play it forward, and earn great karma points for doing it. Make sense?

There’s an online component to the game that will show you where the cards have gone.

The originators, Akoha has lots of ideas for how the game will work over time, and how it might be expanded. It’s all very participatory. There are lots of ways that you will have an opportunity to impact and change and shape the course of this game.

But for now, look how simple it is. Go do something helpful. Be a good person. Share something. Play it forward. Easy, right?

I've asked for an invite to the Beta version and will come back and let y'all know what I find out.

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For the movie version, see 'Play It Forward' (2000, Kevin Spacey, Helen Hunt).
Did you ever get an invite, and what 'good thing' you gonna do first. Does it involve chocolate?
Uh, no.

When I try and sign in, this is what I get:

"Oops!
You are signed up on our Beta List, and we hope to invite you soon, but you are not yet an Akoha user."
Aren't you supposed to have received a mailing with a starter kit?
Maybe its still only working in the States.
Think I'll stick to We are what we do for now.
As for 'We are what we do' and 'Teach your Granny to text/suck eggs etc': when you get fed up dropping your pebble in the pond to make a splash and a ripple, why not DROP YOUR GRANNY into the same pond for a much more satisfying splash and ripples to capsize all your mates' boats? Try it out in Finsbury Park this weekend - the water will be nice and cold.
Oh dear poor little Erica Ritchie, aged 10, who contributed the title action "Teach your granny to text" and here explains where her idea came from: "It's nice for grandparents and children to keep in touch in an easier way than e-mail and writing a letter and quicker and cheaper than a phone call - especially if they live far away like mine!" would probably be horrified at such a notion Eddie! And another child suggested that we Write letters so all is not lost. I like this one, Love where you live. Now if we could just get a few adults to do that, I wouldn't be emailing the council everyday.
My apologies to little Erica. Hope she's not on HOL. Tell you what, Erica: teach her to text first - then teach her to swim - then drop her in the pond. Feeling better?
I hope Erica's grandparents are twinkly eyed oldies who make jam and build things out of blocks of wood, and not evil like you, Eddie :D

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service