Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Spotted in a local shop window..

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic

Views: 9643

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The pollution levels were measured on the part of Green Lanes that isn't usually congested (between St Anns Road and Turnpike Lane). 

The readings were also significantly different between Jan and Feb 2015/2016, before the bridgeworks even began.

The first 3 months of the bridgeworks showed higher levels of pollution!

There's a reason that many people are against the closure - Green Lanes was hell over the summer.

I find it odd that some supporters of this campaign blame the Gardens closure for increased traffic on the ladder, but refuse to accept that closing Wightman will shift traffic elsewhere.

Nick "Green Lanes was hell" - what definition of "hell" are you using here? Pollution decreased on Green Lanes and across the whole area. 8% of traffic evaporated. Vehicle journey times increased by a few minutes:

The increased journey times are obviously unfortunate but remember there were no mitigating measures in place during the bridgeworks.

Nick, the chart you posted shows that pollution went down, not up, during the bridge closure.

The road was closed between March and August (opening in early September).  For March 2015 there are no readings. So we count April through August:

2015: 46+34+36+31+36 = 183 (road open)

2016: 62+33+41+27+25 = 188 (road closed)

As I mentioned in my other post, there are similar variations in January and February - when Wightman Road was open. So presumably there are other factors affecting pollution.

The greatest contributor to NO2 levels isn't vehicles, but domestic gas.

JoeW - At the time of the bridge works I asked the council what they were going to do to mitigate the disruptions, they told me they had put in place the following mitigating measures: 

1. Put out advance warning signs [obvs there weren't enough before the closure but I think they did add more once they saw the disruption went further than they originally thought it would].

2. Liaised with TFL to assess how traffic signal timings on the wider road network could be altered to cope with displaced traffic. Tfl constantly monitored signal timings of the area using CCTV to adjust each junction as and when required. [I definitely noticed a change to the left turning lane into Wightman Rd for East bound traffic at least in the morning rush. I also thought the traffic lights phasing changed at the next Eastbound junction by Turnpike Lane tube].

3. Added yellow box junctions along Green Lanes to ease entry/exit to/from ladder roads and assist traffic flow on Green Lanes itself.

4. Started the road closure after the Stroud Green Road works had finished so the duration was reduced by 28 days.

So, in my opinion, it's wrong to say that no mitigating measures were attempted.

Joe,
What 'mitigating measures' do you mean?
Like the ones proposed that will come in after Wightman is closed. directly affecting the way I use/access my road?
That mean I will be forced to increase traffic on harringay road to access green lanes or that most of the traffic heading south down my road will have to drive down Brampton rd to access Salisbury rd.
Or those that will blight Langham road when south bound traffic on Belmont that can't turn left onto west green rd, work out they need to turn one road earlier.
Mitigating measures?
Living Wightmans tentacles will stretch far and wide and 'mitigating measures' seems a fig leaf used when you have no idea what your measures are or mean.
Remember you only have £350k to spend once, not every week.
Traffic reduction not exclusion.

Nick, the greatest contributor to NO2 levels is in fact vehicles:

I don't know why you think it is relevant to add up the months April to August- after the initial few weeks disruption the situation improved significantly (8% evaporation, people deciding to make journeys at different times) and there was less pollution.

JulieB - yes you're right there were a few mitigations. The GL yellow boxes were added in June 3 months after the start weren't they?

But I walk past the Wightman/Turnpike junction several times a day and the right turn phase was green for 20-30 seconds every couple of minutes. Since there was no traffic turning right, that meant Turnpike Lane was at a standstill for 20-30 seconds every couple of minutes - hence queues build up which never fully clear when their phase is green. I'm sure other junctions were the same (Church Lane/Turnpike, GL/Turnpike, GL/Endymion)

I think someone said at the time that TfL couldn't properly adjust the phases without a software change or something. And in the longer term the mitigation would mean remodelling the entire junction (e.g. adding or removing righthand filter lanes as needed).

Joe - yes I can't remember when the yellow boxes were painted in. I do find them very useful now and I'm glad they seem to be permanent.

I did notice the traffic lights at the filter lane into Wightman was much shorter than usual. I agree it would have been better to remove it from the phasing, but the top end of Wightman was still open for access so I suppose it was still needed. I'm not sure if anything changed at the other junctions around the area, I think the next junction (by Turnpike Lane tube) gave a longer phase to Eastbound traffic and shorter phase to southbound Green Lanes - but I could be wrong.

I don't know why you think it is relevant to add up the months April to August- after the initial few weeks disruption the situation improved significantly (8% evaporation, people deciding to make journeys at different times) and there was less pollution.

You're cherry picking the statistics. Pollution was higher in April (more than a month after the closure) and in June (more than 3 months after the closure).

As I've pointed out these stats don't mean a whole lot as they were taken from the wrong location, and also show they show similar variations when the road was open in both years (Jan and Feb).

The situation did improve significantly - when Wightman Road was reopened in September. Even in August a journey from Crouch End to Green lanes took 25 minutes, outside of peak times.

No you didn't Hugh. Knuckles duly rapped.
No, Alan, the Council really don't want to close Wightman Road. They haven't stumped up a single penny of their own money to fund any works, just put in a half-hearted bid for TFL funding which only has a 1 in 3 chance of being approved. Always follow the money .....

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service