Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Those of you who've read any of the history stuff here, on Wikipedia, or elsewhere may have read about the street market that existed on Green Lanes up to (and perhaps after) the War.

Shefik Mehmet, Chair of the local traders' association, also told me about a Sunday market that used to be held on the site of the Arena for a number of years after it was demolished.

Then there's also the tantalising old references from the middle of the last century that places a "Harringay Market" just to the south of where the old Arena was (opposite Endymion Road).

So one way or another, there's a history of markets in Harringay.

A newsletter I received today included the following with, sadly, a broken link:

Street markets are key to regeneration - London boroughs have been accused of failing to exploit the regeneration value of markets.

So, I browsed around a little, trying to find the article the link referred to. I had no luck, but did come up with the attached year-old GLA study.

What d'ya reckon? Time to revive a Harringay Market?

Tags for Forum Posts: Local Ideas, Sainsbury's Story, harringay market

Views: 474

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Walking to a decent farmers market would be nice. Currently it is not possible to shop locally for fresh fish, real bread, unpasterised cheese, pastry or cakes made with flour which has not been bleached to death, apples with a name and origin, fair trade coffee and a lot more... Sadly one has to go to Sainsbury's for organic milk.

Just stumbled across this old post - huh, funny that!

This is a picture of the market at the Harringay Arena in about 1986. This was the guy selling fruit. There was also a guy selling meat and someone selling household goods I think. They were the real deal with lots of talk, banter and great bargains. The later in the day the better the bargains. I remember leaving there with amazing amounts of meat I got for about a fiver. It had sat in the sun for about 5 hours though, so it was like russian roulette with the bacteria. Never had any adverse reaction to it, so lucky.

That's a great photo. Thanks for adding that, Hob. I hope you don't mind my sprinkling a little fake fairy dust on it and adding it to the historical photos

Thanks Hugh. You made a great job of it.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service