Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I was contacted this week with my work hat on by a new outfit called Jabbakam. Founder James Wickes set up the company to "put power in the hands of everyday people by combining internet camera technology with social networking."

Wickes differentiates his technology from CCTV. He calls it "CCTV for all" or CMTV and explains that this is "socially-organised video surveillance technology over the internet which is more efficient, more reliable and cheaper than traditional CCTV."

Developed following Wickes' personal experience of crime, his system is primarily aimed at the home/neighbourhood security market. However, Wickes points to other uses including monitoring wildlife, vulnerable pets, traffic, weather or remote scientific or industrial outposts.

The £60 camera together with a monthly fee of between £6 and £14 a month gives you motion sensitive equipment that will send you alerts if you want it to and allow you to share your footage as you wish. You can access and control it via mobile and connect to a growing network of Jabbakam customers who help each other out. Some are even starting to build local CMTV networks.

This is an interesting development with fairly self-evident upsides and downsides. Is it a scary spread of the CCTV nation into private hands or a reassuring additional layer of home and neighbourhood safety.

And what of the other uses of the cameras? A HoL SainsJamCam? A flytip watch channel?

The company have offered us two cameras for free to see what we could do with them. Anyone interested?

Tags for Forum Posts: cctv

Views: 330

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's interesting... We'd have to 'employ' well known and trusted individuals to monitor the CCTV footage (not me!) but I think what Hugh was proposing was a live internets feed.

I wasn't proposing anything, J. But if I did propose something, it most certainly wouldn't be a live feed!
Interesting, just stumbled across this older related conversation.

OK, fellow libertarians, fresh from reporting my 5th or so flytip this week, what if we accepted the offer from Jabbakam and used them to try and do somethig about flytipping? I can't see who's going to do anything about the problem if we don't. 

If we could find folk willing to host these with lines of sight to regular flytipping spots (pointed ONLY at the flytipping spots) and through photo-supported evidence started securing highly publicised convictions, the message would soon get out. The cameras could be moved  around the Ladder to the worst spots. We might event find a cheap old computer or two to go along with the cameras.

The rubbish in the passage is always against some piece of street furniture.
I'm getting a bit fed up with all the photos I take myself. I'd rather the prosecutions alone but if one little experiment was to work, I might be persuaded.
I, too, am always against most pieces of street furniture, especially cameras. But then everyone knows I'm rubbish.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service