Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The T, WG and E Journal reports the case of someone who had money debited from their account but got no cash by the cash machine at the Abbey now Santander bank on Green Lanes.

The bank says it was an isolated incident but may be worth double checking your bank statements if the machine acts up on you?

Tags for Forum Posts: bank machines, santander, santander cash machines

Views: 359

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This happened to me quite a few months ago at the same cash point. ( I can't remember when exactly i'd have to check through statements) Basically i went to take £100 at about 7:30am on a weekday. The cash part of the machine opened but then closed straight away and dispensed no money) I waited by the cash machine and explained to anyone who went to use the machine what had happend but some people continued to use it and seemed to be working ok. I phoned up Abbey National to report the machine and they said i should call my own bank to report what had happened so I did. My bank said they would investigate, but they refunded the money in the meantime.

At 9:00 am I went back to the Abbey National to tell the manager of the branch, whilst waiting another young lady was there, the same thing had happened to her with £10. She said this had happened to her before. I found the manager there was incredibly unhelpful saying she couldn't do anything, she said the machine was not faulty and didn't seemed that bothered by what had happened.

I've always been a bit weary of using the machine since!
This also happened to one of my friends - about January time. Same machine, same problem. They checked with their bank and the money had not been deducted. I also steer clear of this particular ATM.
.... the machine acts up on you?

A machine with attitude. Very sci-fi. Maybe it's selectively taking money to feed a gambling habit.
For a long time, the operating system behind banks' ATMs was solely IBM's old and reliable OS/2, still carrying out much banking transactions. I understand that in ATMs in recent years, the convicted monopolist Microsoft, in line with its policy of pushing "Windows Everywhere", has quietly been encouraging banks to "upgrade" to Windows. What folly.

Banks need to use operating systems with high reliability. Whereas previously ATMs using OS/2 were close to 100% reliable, there are now occasional reports of ATM's 're-booting' in front of customers and even displaying the famous 'Windows' Blue Screen of Death. Some would call it progress.
My partner had that happen in Walthamstow! He put the card in, entered how much he wanted to take and all of a sudden the ATM shut down and began rebooting, in the process it took his card! The following week the same thing happened to his brother, same cash point!
For background (switch from OS/2 to DOS/windows) & possible explanation, see this Google search
That cashpoint must have done something bad in a previous life; first we had the January incident , and now this.
Reg Jinks who, with his father, was featured in the story has just joined the site. Welcome to Reg.
With great trepidation I used it last night (cash point, Santander, Green Lanes). The machine told me I had received my money but gave me nothing, luckily nothing has been taken out of my account but clearly something is wrong with this machine.
Just had a chat with the very pleasant bank workers at Santander, Green Lanes and told them that their ATM features on HoL under the headline "Dodgy Santander Cash Machine..." which caused much chuckling. They are aware that there are ongoing problems and have asked for an engineer without any luck, in the meantime they are having to deal with the fallout and get the blame for the problems. Santander this is poor PR. (Ive just e.mailed Santander informing them of the complaints which they can view on HoL re this ATM)
it's latest trick is to gobble up cards- two to my knowledge this morning
It also tends to undermine confidence in ATMs generally. Switching the handling of cash withdrawals from bank tellers behind counters, to machines in an outside wall, saved banks a fortune in wage costs.

And then some of them came up with the wheeze that they would actually charge you for withdrawing your own money! Remember that? Fortunately it was knocked on the head, but the brass neck (gold neck?) of some banks knows no bounds.

Banks would now probably not welcome customers preferring to withdraw cash from the counters.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service