Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

In another post a few days back Glyn from SNT mentioned that there had been a fatal traffic accident on GL - pedestrian and articulated lorry he said.

Does anyone know what happened, or whereabouts?

Tags for Forum Posts: accident, lorry, traffic

Views: 436

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My options are:
think nothing either way
blame the victim
wonder if the truck driver was going too fast to stop or something like that.

I'm not a fan of truck drivers and despite the fact that many of my concerns as a cyclist along Green Lanes are brought on by errant (yet lovable) pedestrians... I'm there with the now dead walker saying "it was not your fault".

I do acknowledge that I have jumped to conclusions though.
In accidents where a pedestrian or a cyclist is killed or seriously injured by a motorist, it should be presumed that the motorist is at fault until proven otherwise. This would mean that the incident was investigated more seriously, and would encourage drivers to be pay more attention. Does that sound like a good idea?
And, yes, it should be 20mph.
That's a bit sweeping. Innocent until proven guilty, surely?
Any incident involving death or injury will be investigated seriously and blame (if any) can be apportioned therafter.

For example, before we assume that the lorry driver was at fault, perhaps we should wait until the FACTS are known ?
""Strict Liability", supported in law in the Netherlands, leads to driver's insurance being deemed to be responsible in a collision between a car and a cyclist. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_in_the_Netherlands
Yep - that's exactly what we need here.
Though you are right, John, of course, about judging a case by the facts.
One of our neighbours was at the crossing when it happened (my partner spoke to him only an hour or so after it happened and he was badly shaken up). Our neighbour said that the light for pedestrians was clearly red, the lorry wasn't going particularly fast but the man stepped into the road when the lorry was only a few feet away from him, meaning the driver has no chance of avoiding him. Unfortunately it was probably just a momentary lapse in concentration, when you are thinking about everything else in the world except crossing safely. I imagine the driver is feeling pretty awful about what happened as well.

It does pose questions about how people move across Green Lanes. The only time I'm ever in a car is the weekly taxi back from Sainsburys and it's scary the number of people who dart into the road rather than walk to the nearest crossing (and yes, I've done the same). I saw an incident just before the new year when someone walked through stationary traffic but didn't check to see a bike coming down on the inside. The pedestrian got a hard bang and the cyclist ended up down on the road. Not sure what can be done though.
Options are;

1. leave as is
2. fence it all off except crossings
3. go down the Kensington High St 'streetscape' improvements route

I'd go for option 3. Kensington's apparently radical streetscape re-design is backed by CABE, seen as best example in UK by Lord Rogers, was given leadership from within the council by a forward thinking Councillor (have we got one of those?), was project managed by 'a progressive multi-disciplinary consultant', namely Project Centre .

So tell me, why should Kensington get all the fancy solutions. Does Harringay Green Lanes not deserve this too?

The Traffic meeting on Monday March 23rd is herding us into some 'workshops' for citizen's ideas to be collected. We don't want these ideas gathering dust until next year's local & national elections. So let's make sure a useful working group is set up to carry ideas forward, one that has outside organisations, council and some residents. But it does need to be lead by a 'progressive' councillor ....
This is exactly what we want (isn't it?). We could save loads of money on the consultation, K&C have already done it.
True. Still needs consultation though and design to our particular street.
If you hit somebody or thing you are going too fast. When i drive i ASSUME people are going to step out and i ASSUME that other drivers will try to hit me. That way i don't hit anything or body nor get hit. Its not good enough to use the excuse 'i wasn't fast enough to react'. Whenever anyone drives through a built up area they should be ready for the worst.
If there was a six inch steel spike protruding from the steering wheel drivers would, i think, drive slower and more carefully.
Pedestrians do put themselves at risk when crossing the road, they are lemmings without a care in the world sometimes. When I cylce or drive on my scooter I go so slow as they pop up all over the place and don't look around sometimes chatting on phones or with ipods on.

A really sad story which should convince us all to be more careful and attentive when crossing the road.
I had to tell John off last night (didn't I John!) as we approached the Salisbury because he was looking to jay walk only metres from a crossing and was finding it difficult because the traffic was coming from all directions. Yes, we used the crossing.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service