Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Fishy business from Haringey Council over Christmas - help save Purkiss Fishmongers!

Excuse the poor pun, as this is no joking matter.

Someone from Haringey Council has apparently ordered Purkiss the fishmongers to stop using their smokehouse because it was a source of pollution. 

Purkiss have had an active smokehouse in Crouch End for 120 years, and smoked fish accounts for half their business. 

The order was put on them a day before Christmas, and the Haringey inspector threatened them with prosecution every time they used the smokery. 

I understand that Purkiss are trying to fight this order, but I would urge the good people of HoL to help protest this attack on a long standing local business who up until a few days ago have been producing excellent, healthy, and nourishing smoked fish.

I shall be writing to the Leader of the Council, Claire Kober, and suggest anyone who feels outraged by this also contact her, Claire.Kober@haringey.gov.uk

Views: 843

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Joe, this may well be an "outrage". But before people decide, wouldn't it be helpful to ask for the full facts?

Alan,

I welcome your input as to how the "full facts" may be found, but of course in a timely fashion, before we lose a valuable and fairly local business!

Thanks Joe for your patience.

Try an email to both Cllr Nilgun Canver (nilgun.canver@haringey.gov.uk) and the Director of the Environment Department Ms Lyn Garner. (lyn.garner@haringey.gov.uk )

Nothing too complicated is needed. Just what you've posted and a request for strictly factual information as quickly as possible.

By the way have you noticed that the recorded message when you ring Haringey's switchboard now starts by saying: "We appreciate your patience as we have new systems in use on our switchboard".

Which sounds to me like an apology for a long wait to come. Except that you don't have to wait too long after all. Maybe the recorded message is putting off callers?

The shop is called Walter Purkis & Sons, and is located at 17 The Broadway, London, London N8 8DU. Just so the name and address is clear. Link here: http://www.purkis4fish.com/

Joe, let us know what the council gives as a reason for this, I'd love to know. The neighbours are a bakery and a fruit and veg shop, and there don't seem to be much going on in terms of gardens at the back (looking at Google), so I don't quite understand why this is a problem all of a sudden. The shop's been there for years, it's hardly a new thing..

I went into this wonderful local fishmongers yesterday to buy some of their home-smoked salmon, to be told that they aren't currently allowed to use their smokehouse. A neighbour, who apparently has built his office next to Purkis' chimney, has complained, and the council has stopped the smoking. John Purkis seemed almost shell-shocked, and it was very sad to see one counter empty apart from some packets of machine-smoked fish.

The smokehouse has been in use for over 100 years, and produces superb smoked haddock and salmon. It was very sad to see one of the counters empty apart from packets of machine-smoked salmon.

This is covered in the current Ham and High (see http://www.hamhighbroadway.co.uk/news/kippered_single_complaint_clo...)

For the history of Purkis see http://purkisfishmongers.homestead.com/AboutUsduplicate.html

At Cllr David Winskill's suggestion, I've emailed Cllr Nilgun Canver (Nilgun.Canver@haringey.gov.uk)

Something that maybe hasn't been said yet: I go back to the days when you could buy smoked salmon from  a variety of suppliers in the East End, and for me, Purkis's is the best available anywhere, to the extent that it is one of the things, possibly the best of things, that makes Crouch End so special. There must be a way of getting through to the other side of this situation. I write this without fear nor favour to any party although I have been an appreciative Purkis customer for a number of decades.   

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service