Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Delete as appropriate.

Views: 2327

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The forum has always been moderated as was demanded by members right from the early days in 2007. 

I'm assuming that the act of 'censorship' that has spurred you to start this thread is the removal of posts from the Wood Green Shooting thread. 

For the avoidance of doubt, three or four contributors embarked on a conversation about the level of activity of a local councillor on HoL that had nothing to do with the subject of the thread. Given the sensitivity of the issue, the posts were removed and screenshots sent to the principal authors with an invitation to repost them elsewhere on the site. Call it censorship if you will, but the authors have full freedom to re-add their material if they wish to.

Whatever is the dictionary definition of the word 'censorship', its use implies to most people strict top-down control to serve a personal or political agenda. If you're worried about this FPR, let me reassure you that all moderation decisions on HoL are taken in line with our policy and then only to make the site as usable a space as possible for the members.

Ahem, actually my post was removed - even though I was not being unpleasant to anyone, and i haven't received any notification or screen shots.  While i have no problem with my remark being removed as my comment about it all getting a bit off topic wouldn't have made sense with other comments being removed - it still might have been been nice to have been advised that was happening! 

It's just a matter of how much time I've got Sparkle. Do remember HoL is run on  all volunteer labour. So whilst I totally agree that in an ideal world, you'd have been notified, you weren't because my time is limited. (Now if I could get a subscription model going when each member paid £5 or £10 a year I could promise a much better level of service! Any takers?)

You're quite right about why your comment was removed - once those of the main protagonists had gone, yours would have made no sense.

Hugh

well, that told me. silly me

Oh come on Sparkle. You raised a complaint; I offered an honest explanation about why things happened the way they did. I had no intention of "telling you", or in any way suggesting that you were being silly (and I can't see how you take that meaning from what I wrote). But yes, I do guard my time. I'm happy to give what I do through the site, but there are limits which means everything's not always perfect.

Hugh

no- you come on. In relation to the exact thread I posted which you deleted- you've stated twice in 2 different posts defending your actions and saying that you informed those involved and everyone agreed yada yada ..to remove the offending posts.

I simply stated the truth. You didn't inform everyone, you made a decision about whom your valuable time was worth spending on. Fine, oversight whatever- not important. 

However, in your reply on this public forum you led with - not sorry, but 'my time is valuable', 'Do remember' ...in an ideal world etc. 

I'm entitled to feel you're being inconsistent and patronising. that's my opinion. 

Then it only remains for me to apologise for leaving you out of the notification process and so having caused offence.

Hugh

Thank you, I appreciate that. 

Having been " censored " several times over the years, I would like to say that I am completely happy with the decisions of the Administrators and agree that the deletions were justified 

As someone who has probably been 'censored' more than most, I have to agree with you John D on this occasion..

The hard fact of the matter is, the moderators have the right to do what they see fit.

so if some guests in your house started being rude to and upsetting other guests youd let them get on with it for fear of censoring them? (id use your name when addressing you.....but you've self-censored that)

It's easy enough for a crazy to track someone down, don't make it any easier if you can help it.

Public officials and those who find it judicious to reveal themselves for certain tramsparency reasons take on a risk, don't do it if you don't have to.

Anyone generation X and younger should know better.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service