Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Back in 2012, a I organised a group of locals to club together on HoL to buy an old map of part of the Harringay Ladder as the area was being developed. We won the auction on eBay and were able to donate the map to Bruce Castle Museum.

Before giving it away, I had an archival quality copy made by the London Metropolitan Archives (LMA). They also printed us some copies on archival quality map paper. A number of the original purchasers got a copy along with a few other locals.

That section covered the southern part of the Ladder. In the ensuing few years I've had a number of people ask if there's a map that covers the other parts of the Ladder. I've been dragging my feet getting it organised, but I now have copies of two more maps and I'm  putting out this feeler to see if there's enough interest to get the LMA to do a print run of either/both of those.

I've now found the the Northern  and central section maps, (Strangely the Northern section os printed with south to the top) runs from Hampden to Effingham. The central section covers from Warham to Beresford.

The LMA did a fantastic job last tiime round. Printing on archival quality paper, they preserved the character and feel of the map and rendered the detail splendidly.

Last time the I did two sizes - a smaller version at 37" x 25" approx and a full size one 54" x 37" approx. The northern section would print out at something like the same sizes and the central section I think would just be at the smaller size. 

Last time the smaller size was £95 and £145 for the full size version (prices are now £105 and £155). If there's sufficient interest in these new maps, I'll need to check for up-to-date pricing with the LMA.My guess is that if there has been a price rise, it won't be very much.

Please drop me a note at hugh@harringayonline and if there's enough interest I'll organise another run.

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay house map

Views: 3149

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm in for a copy of the central section (small). Many thanks Hugh.

Now taking orders. 

Confirmed price - Large size £155 - small size £105, Please email me your order at hugh[at]harringayonine.com

Hi Hugh, which Ladder roads are featured in both the maps? Can't work out how to make the map pics bigger for my old eyes! (Thinking of updating my hall map).

See para 4 in the original post.

Thanks! Sorry, brain as old as the eyes!!

If only it covered the gardens too! If one of that makes an appearance please let me know. Thank you. These look great.

Just looking at newly acquired & rather fabulous map of the middle section. Does anyone have any ideas about the apparent alternative route shown for the new river? On the map (it's the bottom one in Hugh's original post above, but the detail I'm talking about doesn't show up), there is a dotted line that suggests a diversion for the new river that takes it away from the new river tunnel to skirt round the east boundaries of the three building plots. 

Also really interesting to see the Hornsey /Tottenham boundary - for those that aren't already aware, you can still see this on some roads as the paving on the pavements either side of the bounardy differs. It's very apparent on Seymour. 

Thanks again for Hugh for finding these and organising the printing. 

Glad you like it. At least a couple of purchasers of the northern section map have discovered that their houses had names back in the nineteenth century. Nothing so grand for we mid-Ladderites.

The alternative course you note for the New River is in fact its original course. You can see it on this 1869 map. 

And in this photo, taken just after Harringay House was knocked down (from right about where your house is) you can see the elbow in the river where the sweeping curve around the house used to meet the straighter section (just near the 'T' of 'The New River' on the map). I have a couple of other pre-development sketches of the river from the other side of the house dated in the late 1880s. I seem not to have posted them here yet. I will try and dig them out.

With regards to the Hornsey-Tottenham border on Seymour, you also have an old boundary maker, or at least you did in 2011, as this photo shows. 

Okay, found them, Now posted here and here

First time I have seen this splendid map. Tottenham Lane is clearly the original of Turnpike Lane, the WQueens Head at corner of what was to be Frobisher is shown so pre-dates the estate - must have been a boom for the pub! And Ducketts Common as it is now is also very clear (but the Dovecote House is new to me - when I worked on the HJ I discovered ref in the library to a farmer called Duckett who worked the area so assumed...? Maybe not?

I have looked to see if we can figure out how Stationers came to arrive there in 1910 - we were told it had been an old house and was redeveloped as a school. There is on this a candidate house, close to Mount View Road (tick) and on Mount Pleasant (tick) - Womersely House. Seems a little far west but any ideas?

Yes, the original Queens Head was built in 1794 (photo here), rebuilt circa 1895. 

BTW, this is the only map or document I've ever seen that spells Harringay House as Haringey. No idea why they chose this spelling. 99% of other documents at the time, used Harringay.

But, sorry, no idea about Stationers. 

I think the original routeing of the New River was from 'the elbow' to the south of Haringey House, along the line shown. It also looks as if the course of the river was altered just to the north of Haringey House when the GNR was built. There again, you can see the original more rounded curve of the river on the map.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service