Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey Labour shortlisting and selection meetings for the 2018 local elections

For any eligible Labour Party members who may not have seen these details. Mostly a copy and paste from what I got.

The shortlisting meeting makes the decision whether to open selection to any person who wishes to be considered or if current councillors are automatically re-selected.

If selection is opened, the selection meeting will hear from potential candidates and decide which go forward as the Labour candidates for the ward.

Who can attend the shorlisting and selection meetings?

If you have been a member of the Labour Party in Haringey before or on 6th January 2017 and are fully paid up (i.e. not in arrears) you are eligible to participate in the Haringey Local Government selections. You can only attend meetings of your own branch.

What do you need to bring to the meetings?

You should receive a letter or email from your Labour Party branch to invite you to both the shortlisting and selection meetings. You do not need the letter to attend, but you need to bring ID. There will be a two-level check to verify the person attending is is on the membership list.

Named Photo ID:
Types of accepted photo ID: Passport, Drivers Licence, Official Work ID, Government ID Card, Student ID Card etc.

Proof of Address: To prove you are eligible to vote, You will need a recent (no older than 3 months) proof address:
Types of recent proof of address: Utility bill, council tax bill, bank statement, mortgage statement, NHS letter etc.

Below are the details of the ward meetings in the HoL “catchment” area.

These times are when the meeting starts - so arrive at least 15 mins early to go through ID clearance. Latecomers will not be allowed admittance

Crouch End Ward

Short -Listing Meeting:
Date: Wednesday 29th November 2017
Time: 7:30pm - 9:30pm
Venue: St Mary's CE Primary School, Rectory Gardens, Hornsey, London, N8 7QN
Selection Meeting:
Date: Sunday 3rd December 2017
Time: 3:30pm - 5:30pm

Harringay Ward

Short -Listing Meeting:
Date: Wednesday 22nd November 2017
Venue: Turkish Cypriot Women’s Project, 140A Falkland Road, N8 0NP
Selection Meeting:
Date: Tuesday 28th November 2017
Venue: Turkish Cypriot Women’s Project, 140A Falkland Road, N8 0NP

Hornsey Ward

Short -Listing Meeting:
Time: 8pm - 10pm
Selection Meeting:
Date: Monday 27th November 2017
Time: 8pm - 10pm

Noel Park Ward

Short -Listing Meeting:
Date: Wednesday 15th November 2017
Venue: Wood Green Social Club, 3-4 Stuart Crescent, Wood Green, London N22 5NJ
Selection Meeting:
Date: Monday 20th November 2017
Venue: Wood Green Social Club, 3-4 Stuart Crescent, Wood Green, London N22 5NJ

St Ann’s Ward

Short -Listing Meeting:
Time: 7:30pm – 9:30pm
Venue: Chestnuts Community Centre (inside Chestnuts Park) 280 St Ann's Rd, West Green, London N15 5BN
Selection Meeting:
Date: Monday 27th November 2017
Venue: Chestnuts Community Centre (inside Chestnuts Park) 280 St Ann's Rd, West Green, London N15 5BN

Seven Sisters Ward

Short -Listing Meeting:
Date: Wednesday 8th November 2017
Venue: The Triangle Centre, 99 St Ann’s Road, Tottenham N15 6NU
Selection Meeting:
Date: Sunday 12th November 2017
Time: 3pm – 5pm
Venue: The Triangle Centre, 99 St Ann’s Road, Tottenham N15 6NU

Stroud Green Ward

Short -Listing Meeting:
Time: 8pm – 10pm
Venue: Stroud Green Primary School, Woodstock Road, N4 3EX
Selection Meeting:
Date: Tuesday 28th November 2017
Time: 8pm – 10pm
Venue: Stroud Green Primary School, Woodstock Road, N4 3EX

West Green Ward

Short-Listing Meeting:
Date: Wednesday 15th November 2017
Venue: Park View School, West Green Road, (opposite The Banc Restaurant) London N15 3QR
Selection Meeting:
Date: Monday 20th November 2017
Venue: Park View School, West Green Road, (opposite The Banc Restaurant) London N15 3QR

Tags for Forum Posts: Labour, election, meeting, seslecty, ward

Views: 1153

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hold your Labor values and your personal philosophy dearly, and do your best to serve the people you represent, examine your ward on a macro level, enguage with front line staff, defend services and results will follow.
Good luck candidates, I wish you well, don't be afraid to ask for advice.
The borough of Haringey deserve the best candidates, everyone apply.
Labor (Australian spelling, the founding of the ALP surprisingly predates England, correct me if I'm wrong.)
You're wrong
Alp 1901
Blp 1900
It’s a difficult one to pin down Philip. In the 1890s there were candidates in Australia election under the banner of Labor Electoral League and the United Labor Party. Australia was certainly the first country in the world to have a Labor Government

I met you years ago, Matthew when you stood as an independent candidate in a local election. As I recall we sat on a wall and chatted - interrupted by the passing of potential voters you spoke to. 
I liked you then and like the person who comes across from your posts on HoL.
But - you knew that was coming, didn't you? - but can I suggest perhaps that you pay less attention to the packaging and branding and more to what's inside the wrapper.

Can I suggest that Labour actions trump ostensible Labour values. 
Haringey Labour is now divided. A large and growing number of members don't believe in the magic of the market, and that property developers, football millionaires and academy chains are our friends. They don't believe that the housing crisis and homelessness can be solved by demolishing council owned homes and displacing the residents . 
Others appear to believe in many or all of these. Or at least are prepared  to go along with the right-wing policies and programmes.

Time for judgement, not luck.

Hilarious to note that, whist demanding photographic ID for internal votes, Labour oppose them at actual polling stations--as proposed to help stamp out electoral fraud.

It's because a vote in a selection meeting in the Labour held wards is like 1000 times more powerful than a vote in an election.

Everyone of age can vote in an election, only Labour Party members can vote in a selection.

To underline what John says - Labour Party members in Harringay ward (i.e. those who were members on or before 6 January 2017 and who are not in arrears) should make every effort to attend BOTH meetings as their votes in this forum can potentially be far more consequential than the votes actually cast in the Council elections in May. Especially if you are part of the majority who joined the party in the last two years to support change locally and nationally BE THERE!

If you are in arrears, no more than six months I think, you can pay on the door.

This from the party mail out

You may clear any outstanding membership arrears beforehand by phoning the Labour Party on 0345 092 2299 and speaking to member services or through the web site https://renew.labour.org.uk/exisiting/ at least four working days before the meeting date to participate, or by cash only at the meeting 30 mins before the scheduled start of the meeting.

It seems that "30 minutes before the start of the meeting" may be a loose requirement.

Honestly, the obvious bias of whomever is controlling the meeting really comes out around the fringes like this. John David Blake (no longer a Labour Party member) and Steve Hart (no longer chair of H&WG Labour Party) controlled the St Ann's one in 2013. Anyone know who the branch secretary of Seven Sister's Labour is? Who the invigilator was?

Keir Greenaway Is the contact person for the branch but they may be the Sec or the Chair

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service