Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A Devon-based councillor had used Twitter to release a spreadsheet showing the levels of cuts being made to Government Revenue Support Grants to councils across the UK.

Assuming the document is kosher, Haringey is facing the fifth highest cut in London. From its revenue support grant of just over £17m, £3.3m will be cut for 2010-2011.

If anyone wants to full spreadsheet, let me know.

Tags for Forum Posts: public spending cuts

Views: 73

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Would appreciate a copy - can u email it to me as an attachment (or is it too big?). Thanks
Me too, if you would, please Hugh. Councillors - or at least so-called 'backbench' councillors - still await information from our own officers.

Although, to be fair, fresh announcements from the coalition keep coming thick and fast. This Quango to be phased-out; that Board to be abolished.

Except these decisions aren't always what was initially reported; and lack the all important detail. There also seems to be quite a lot of doubt about existing programmes which were well underway with money agreed. Apparently, civil servants are not yet able to give clear guidance because they don't know either.

So waiting for the budget on 22 June is sensible. On the other hand, in this "phoney war" period there are dangers in Keep Calm & Carry On. C. Northcote Parkinson proposed the Law of Delay = “Delay is the deadliest form of denial”. And in this case I don't object to a bit of denial. Especially if carrying-on involves more consultants getting paid for work the Council no longer needs, with money we no longer have. Or includes signing contracts which - in a few months time - we'll wish we hadn't.

(Councillor Tottenham Hale. In case anyone was wondering, Tottenham Hale ward hasn't yet been abolished, though I expect the phone call from Eric Pickles any day.)
Alan

If you follow this link, it takes you to the press release. Right down at the bottom at point 4 there is a link to the spreadsheet.
According to the spreadsheet this "5th highest" cut is 0.9%. Other boroughs are being hit much harder in percentage terms, we're only 367th out of 428 or so. Look out up North.
I'm reading that differently. John.

5th highest in absolute terms in London, 52nd highest in UK. In percentage terms, I'm reading it as 67th highest in the UK.

I'm using columns 21 and 22.
It is actually just England, according to the table, not UK.
Thanks for the correction - sloppy of me.
Hi Hugh

The cut is not from the revenue support grant. It is from area-based grant which is the central pot of funding combining several different funding streams. Labour took the ring-fences off so Local Strategic Partnerships (LSP) could use the funding to meet key priorities agreed by partners such as Health, Police and the Council, who are on the LSP. As they have to meet national targets the money goes into different areas like environment, community safety, education, community engagement - but the decision on how much into different themes was left to the LSPs.

Haringey got £43m - £3.3m has been deducted from that -some 9%. Why it is shown as 0.9 is beyond me. Its worse though, because the cut comes at the end of the first quarter of the financial year - so effectively the cut is bigger - 3.3m over 9 months.

The link to the DCLG table is here

Zena Brabazon
Cllr, St Ann's Ward
Thanks for the update Zena.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service