Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

@HaringeyCouncil @Harringay4Shops This is what we need on Green Lanes

At the risk of getting a reputation as a clean pavements obsessive, I spotted this chap this morning, (Not so far from where I saw the guy with the bubble gum wand). The pressure hose was attached to a small hand-pulled cart. Could the borough / traders not afford one shared between two or ore of the borough's 'metropolitan town centres'?

Views: 881

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd love to see this.

Early morning in Hong Kong I used to watch shop keepers outside cleaning the street outside and always wondered why that wasn't done in the UK. I was told it was and I just don't get up early enough to see it...which is a fair enough comment!

Same here Sarah. It's common to see shop keepers in Spain doing the same thing in the morning. I suppose they' regarding the pavement in front of their premises as part of the shop and that if it looks clean and inviting, people will want to come in and spend money. I have seen some businesses on GL do it too (a couple of the hairdressers) but the ones where the pavements get really messy (ground in fruit and veg and fag ends outside of betting shops for instance) don't seem bothered.

BTW, if anyone from Haringey is reading this you can get pressure washers for £450 on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/industrial-pressure-washer

I am in Hong Kong and they still do it.  The pavements sparkle.  Every London borough should have a magic wand.

Can I just say Hugh there is nothing wrong with a getting a reputation as an obsessive. I should know. And yes, we do need one of these.

I'm sure we're in safe hands with you tackling the great questions of the day, Phil.

Please can we have in wood green around the tube and Lordship lane. Its disgusting!  

Judging by how many of the new pavements have already cracked, I don`t think they would withstand a high pressure jetwash ..

The other day, I saw a huge brewer's dray parked on the new pavement outside the Salisbury as they unloaded kegs into the cellar. There's nowhere else for them to park now that the pavement has been extended. Did nobody think of this?

I don't see the new paving lasting long

Can we get a response from the council via our councillors please. Has anyone emailed Gina/ David/Karen? We do have to have a system in place within the next couple of months, if there isn't one already (lets say, before the local elections).

(btw, the post title isn't obvious as to what it's talking about!) 

I lived in Germany for a while and it was a legal requirement for shopkeepers to sweep (and clear snow from) the pavement in front of their shops.  However, I should think that things in the UK might be different, complicated by the elf'nsafety brigade.  For instance, people don't clear snow away from the pavement in front of their houses any more because if the exposed paving becomes icy and an unwary pedestrian ends up in a heap, the householder can be held responsible.  It could be that even the most responsible shopkeepers feel similarly vulnerable and worry that an accident caused by water left on the pathway would be down to them, with all sorts of insurance grief to follow. 

I am not even certain that such rules about culpability are actually in place, but I think that most people are afraid they are, and act accordingly. 

I think you're probably right that people think they will end up being sued rather than that actually being the case. The last snowy winter didn't stop people for this site from picking up their shovels and clearing Harringay Passage.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service