Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Update: Lots of people have volunteered, so we'll all be out at 10am Sunday. My number is 07766 990123 if you need to get salt or any other problems.

Update 2: A huge thank you to all the volunteers who came out yesterday to clear the snow. We've done a fab job.

If you've walked up or down it recently you'll know that the passage is an absolute ice rink at the moment. We're not going to get any help from the council to fix it, so I'd like to get a bunch of volunteers to commit to coming out on Sunday at 10am to clear part of the passage.

There were a bunch of Ladder Dads who committed tonight, so if you'd like to join us on Sunday morning to help clear a part of passage so we can all use it to get to work, school or the shops then sign up below.

Just say which bit (e.g. Hewitt to Seymour) you'd like to work on, and we'll all meet out there around 10 am on Sunday.

Bring salt, shovels and any sand/grit you might have, and let's all make the passage a little bit safer.

I know that together we can make a difference - so let's do it.

Tags for Forum Posts: get involved, grit, ice, passage, snow, winter

Views: 678

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Eddie. I have lost a bottle of wine and a curry for the family to this ice. No more, it is open as far as Turnpike Lane. Jashan for tea tonight. Hooray!!!
Warham to Pemberton being cleared
Attachments:
It was great fun being part of this effort, which I doubt could ever have been organised so quickly without HarringayonLine.

All the best,

David
(part of the Beresford to Hewitt quartet)
It was great fun being part of this effort, which I doubt could ever have been organised so quickly without HarringayonLine.
All the best,
David (part of the Beresford to Hewitt quartet)
great idea Malcolm, well done for getting it organised. Allison Rd is much better now after the great efforts of the residents, especially the hero of the day ?? Lucas, who was unstoppable.
Next time we should bite the bullet when the snow falls and clear it then. I am a physical wreck from all of this, even with the salt that ice was bloody hard to shift.
Wow. Pete and I just walked the whole of the passage and it's all cleared. Mattison rd pavement alongside S Harringay School cleared. Pemberton Rd to Green Lanes cleared. Chunk of Burgoyne Rd pavement cleared. Feel proud to have been part of it!
Aching Kev
WOW!

I'm amazed and humbled by what has been achieved today - a huge thanks to everyone who came out and worked so hard to clear the passage and many of the pavements. When the first seeds of this clearup were planted I never imagined that we'd get the whole passage clear in a day.

What wonderful people - thank you all.

The even better news is that (at least on Hewitt), I'm seeing lots more people out clearing their own pavements, perhaps inspired by the example of you all.

Cat said:

I was suggesting that we might be able to help more people in our community by applying that same effort to the pavements, given that footfall (stress on ‘fall’) is heavier on the pavements. People have a choice about using the passage but they can’t choose whether or not to use the pavements.

Cat: You're amost certainly right - clearing the pavements probably would have been better in the sense of being where more people walk. And perhaps if I'd suggested a "clear your street" session we'd have got people out to do it.

But more likely not. The promise of clearing the passage is that everyone's efforts help everyone - whereas clearing my street doesn't help a volunteer on another street. So each volunteer would be working alone, and faced with a huge task. Wonderful though they all are, I fear they'd have been demoralised and given up. I know I would have done, faced with the prospect of clearing the whole of Hewitt Road with just a couple of people.

So I suspect, but cannot prove, that if we'd chosen to do that we'd have ended up with nothing done.

The good news is that as a direct result of today, at least 3 streets had the pavements cleared from the passage down to Green Lanes, as did stretches of other streets.

Now as for the future - now we've seen how to do it, I'm sure we can form a new Snow Patrol and get the streets back into shape much more quickly next time. No need for a list of volunteers - HoL gives latent groups the ability to form at any time.

Finally, I'd love to see some people knocking on doors of anyone with snow/ice outside their house and asking why they haven't cleared their stretch :)

We cleared quite a stretch of Beresford Rd to the passage with two people, and I have to say that my back was killing me and I for one was not up for the rest of the street!! This has been a great effort by the Harringy online community - well done Malcom and well done Harringay online! Maybe next time we can inspire more people to join in - do you think wandering around with thermos's of mulled wine and cider would help? :-)
Comments like this dampen the community spirit John!

John McMullan said:
Thanks for helping out, not.

Milo said:
do you know how much salt costs ? ! I tried with a spade outside the front of my house earlier and its a no go, like trying to crack a brazil nut with a feather. Considering "Global Warming" is likely to result in many more of these colder winters (sarcasm) I suggest everyone invests in some decent grippy shoes :)
Have been buried in work and missed this incredible effort by people here. I'm probably too late to pitch in here (though shovel at hand for anyone requiring help in Pemberton) but feel very proud to call you people neighbours:)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service