Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Seems like there's movement on the 1000 apartment development off Hornsey Park Road. St Williams, part of Berkeley Group hope to start building from 2017. St William is a new joint venture launched by National Grid and the Berkeley Group. They aim to build several thousand homes across London on National Grid land.

St James, also part of Berkeley Group, built New River Village at Hornsey and currently the Hornsey High Street development, incorporating a Sainsbury's.

Views: 737

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think I heard that the new flats will have no provision for car parking so yes I hope they have bikes too!

Great idea. Car free flats were built next to Holloway Road tube by Arsenal. If Hornsey Pk Rd and Wightman Rd become car free cycling highways it makes even more sense!
Given that only 1 in 35 commute by bicycle (according to 2011 census) I would hope they concentrate on the needs of the vast majority of the population who commute by public transport.

Doubt it. The Hampden Rd development now has space for 50 cars for 171 apartments ... oh and a 14 story tower block.

Time to start living right next to a decent tube station perhaps ?

My first reaction to this comment Antoinette was, yes but a lot more people are choosing to commute by bike than was the case a few years ago, and there is clearly latent demand. There are a lot of folks I know who would use a bike if they felt safer. I regularly cycle on Wightman and frankly that road simply scares me. I am a confident cyclist of 25+ years but I always wonder if this is going to be the moment someone coming from will clip me and have me off. If folks felt safer more would do it, and this would get them off public transport and out of cars- which in effect is a benefit to those remaining.

That said, I know these developments have to make some kind of contribution to local coffers (I am not sure of the detail), but I wonder if they pay their fair share towards the public infrastructure that those buying the new properties expect to use? Maybe they should be making a reasonable contribution towards funding the development of public transport infrastructure.

For me the elephant in the room where bikes are concerned is that there is a limitation on the space available to park them when they are not in use. You can make the roads safer but where are you going to store thousands of extra bikes in central London. When you get off the bus or tube you don't have anything to park.

"limitation on the space available to park them when they are not in use" Oh my god that is soooo funny! You should see how many bicycles fit in the multilevel car parks of the buildings in the city. It's even more incredible out in Canary Wharf. You fit way more bicycles in when you take our the car parking.

Look at London on Google Earth sometime, hey just look at Harringay, and you'll see that we allocate so much public space and even space that we could build gardens or houses on, to the parking of cars.

That's easy

And where bike facilities aren't available you get this
Attachments:

And a similar picture showing the space taken up by 9 cars?

Yes, but there isn't a limitation on the space available to park them, the limitation is that the space is available but isn't being efficiently used.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service